• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stereo whistling

mbiker72

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone here installed a custom stereo in their jeep. I did and im getting a whining noise while the motor is running, it also increases in volume and pitch when i accelerate, im thinking this has something to do with the interference caused by the ignition. anyone have this problem or a solution to this problem?

Yes and this is really common. Make sure all your grounds are connected. Check the ground wires on your battery to the body connection. Also adding amps will just amplify it more. If, all wires are good the you might need a filter. One can be purchased at any stereo store or Radio Shack. You will need to hook all radio and amp power wires to it.

mbiker72 said:
has anyone here installed a custom stereo in their jeep. I did and im getting a whining noise while the motor is running, it also increases in volume and pitch when i accelerate, im thinking this has something to do with the interference caused by the ignition. anyone have this problem or a solution to this problem?

there a few causes for this:
1. ground wire isnt grounded properly. Most common problem. make sure the black wire is attached to the dashboard metal frame or the ground wire on your cigarette lighter plug. If this doesnt help, try to relocate the ground wire away from any wire that has power or get an Alternator Noise Suppressor

2. Do you get it while playing a CD or only radio? If only on radio, then its because of your antenna lead. In this case you need to get a antenna filter.

3. Noise coming through speaker wiring. rare but can happen if they too are too close to power wires.

4. As the last post mentioned, make sure your ignition, alternator are properly ground or get shield spark plug wires.

Are you using an amp? If you get a good of RCA wires that run from the back of your stereo to your amp, than you shouldn't get any interference. I used a cheap pair of RCA's then switched to Monster Cables, and didn't get any whining through the stero.

I really dont think its a ground connection.. If you are running an amp run the power and remote wires on one side of the truck and then run the RCA's on the other side.. It adds a little time to the install but it will get rid of that humm.

Mine does the same,I used a in line filter and that helped alot.Its because its a poor quality amp.Get yourself a new "good"one

whining and whistling are usually caused by leaky plugwires or a bad ground/ ground loop. I ran the cheapest RCA's I could find, and my power wire is 4 gauge. BUT I am using accel 8.8mm wires. and NO buzz

Last edited:
If the amp and stereo and other accesories are all grounded to the body ,it could be causing a ground plane effect. Try running the ground directly to the battery and see if it goes away.

I had the same thing about 3 weeks ago..

RCA's down the middle... power down the drivers side... all speaker wires down the passenger side.

I figured that it must be a ground issue.. My ground distribution block was grounded to the body underneath the rear seat belt attaching point on the drivers side. That was a little bit corroded underneath. I re-sanded down the ground point area, and reattached the cable.. No major change. A little bit reduced whine but still present.

I then moved to the engine bay to check my battery ground. As I was removing the cable from where it was attached to the passenger side fender, the damn bolt just snapped off! Tons of corrosion underneath on the sheetmetal and then I remembered... Running without fender liners allows all kinds of crap up into the fender area and what bolts to that piece of metal? Your ground cable... I picked a new ground spot and 'slathered' the newly cleaned up cable with a product from GB called Ox-Gaurd. It is designed to keep moisture away and promote conductivity on Al-Al connections.. (works just fine with Cu to fender connections as well..

Whine gone.

George Trilikis
00XJ (no plug wires here.. ;-)

The directions to my sub said to ground the head to the exact same spot where the amp is grouded. Once I did that, a lot of engine noise went away.

Problems with the rectifier in an alternator will generate a whine also.

first of thanks for all the help, but ide like to say, i am not getting a new better amp because i happen to have a $600 700watt 4 channel MOSFET amp. And all my cables are seperated and everything, and i mean every single component is grounded directly to the battery. This is not a hack job installation. thanks for the advice guys, i think ill try and inline filter on the power and better plug wires

Back