• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Primer

calvin

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be repainting my XJ soon, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good 'self-etching' primer.

Thanks,
Calvin
NAXJA #365

Can't give you a brand. I went to a local auto paint supply house and bought what they recommended. Seems to work pretty well. In a city the size of Houston there must be any number of professional auto body supply stores -- find a couple close to you and ask for advice. The guys at mine are friendly and helpful. If the people at the first one you hit aren't helpful ... move on.

Try to keep the primer and paint brands the same, they are designed to work together. If you use rustoleum rattle can primer make sure to use rustoleum finish paint :D
Serious though, stay with the same brand primer and paint. I've seen 'specials' where owner saved a few bucks on either or both and the paint all came off the first time the owner hit 65mph :D :D
I'm partial to DuPont though, always had good results both with their paint and the fishing lures :D

Back