• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Black pipe for rear bumper?

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
My MJ's bumper is toast. I looked at steel to make one and realized it isnt cheap. IE: $140 for a 2x6x6ft pice of rectange tubing.

So I looked at round tubing, and that was too much also.

So I found black pipe at Lowes, the stuff for plumbing. I know it isnt the greatest, but its cheap and would allow me to do what I want.

I also want to add a reciver hitch. Would it be strong enough for that?

Wow! Thats alot. I got 2x6x12x3/16 delivered that I am using for my rockers for $100. Are there any other places to get prices from around you? You could go to a scrap yard or recycle center and see what they might have. I personaly dont like the look of round bumpers on an xj they dont seem to go with the rest of the lines on it.

Wow, it wasnt local, it was a website I found, not sure where they were but I was using it for a ballpark. Maybe ill check locally here.

summitlt said:
My MJ's bumper is toast. I looked at steel to make one and realized it isnt cheap. IE: $140 for a 2x6x6ft pice of rectange tubing.

So I looked at round tubing, and that was too much also.

So I found black pipe at Lowes, the stuff for plumbing. I know it isnt the greatest, but its cheap and would allow me to do what I want.

I also want to add a reciver hitch. Would it be strong enough for that?

You want to make a receiver hitch with the black iron pipe? Don't think that would work to well.

Iron pipe is extremely brittle even compared to mild steel. On impact iron will shatter when steel will bend and stretch. While iron would hold a trailer hitch receiver for a while, you would have a definite risk of the whole thing breaking off at a most untimely moment. Iron is good for engine blocks because they don't need to flex. Body parts and bumpers need to spring just a little to protect you in an accident And to absorb the tug and weight transfer caused by driving and pulling trailers.

Not sure about the receiver hitch, but for just bumpers, pipe will work just fine. My front and rear bumpers, as well as my rock rails are all made from pipe and have held up well.

I have no hesitation using pipe for non-structural parts.

Travis

I made mine from sprinkler pipe.
I also put in a receiver as a recovery point. i rean triangulated reinforcement from the receiver up the "frame" rails to just above the rear axle above the "U" Bolts. It bolts to the "frame" in two places as well as the receiver itself.

Here is some pics:

driveview.jpg

Mjnewlights.jpg

CW

brian, that mj is sweet, and the round bumper is quite unique! i loved the looks when i saw it picking up the motor. oh and your dog is a really cool dude.

Project Skanky isn't meant to be pretty...

I made this rear bumper about 8 years ago...

I can't even remember if it's schedule 40 or 60 anymore...

It cost me $50 in materials IIRC

It's been tested...

No problems except for the occasional campfire comments

:D

DSCF0020.jpg

Back