• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mean Green Starter in a 99 w/ AW-4?

XJack

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone installed one? Experience?

Just installed a Mean Green starter in my '99 XJ. It works fine, but no engagement! So I measured the starter and the bell housing cutout, and the teeth don't match up to the flywheel of my AW-4, they're 3/8" away!

It's the right model number for my application, according to their paperwork. It can only be installed one direction as the nose piece is the same shape as stock. Clocking it doesn't change the distance from starter pinion to flywheel.

Anyone have any input?

langer1 said:
Just curious why?

I use my jeep for deliveries. Some days I will start the jeep as many as 50 times. Figured a heavy duty starter couldn't hurt. I want their high output alt. to compliment my Blue Top. I have a winch, lights, OBA compressor, and few other electrical accessories.

I will say that Mean Green's service to this point has been GREAT. I e-mailed them about the problem and got a response within 15 minutes - on Sunday evening!

I'll be having my stock unit rebuilt for a spare. Wife is considering an XJ, that would help me out in the parts dept LOL!

90Pioneer said:
I use my jeep for deliveries. Some days I will start the jeep as many as 50 times. Figured a heavy duty starter couldn't hurt. I want their high output alt. to compliment my Blue Top. I have a winch, lights, OBA compressor, and few other electrical accessories.
High output Alt you need, a high toque stater you don't need. A Mean Green starter will not last as long as a good OEM starter.
If you have a Stroker or other High compression raceing engine you need a one other than that save your money.

Back