• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My leaf install

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the middle of intalling my 6" leafs right now. On Rusty's site it says that you can remove one of the leafs for a softer ride if you don't have a rig with lots of extra weight. I was just wondering if that would mean the smallest leaf, or the second to smallest leaf? Anyways, I'm takin a break right now cause I'm letting my PB soak into the threads. Still have to run and get some new u-bolts. I'm going with 4deg. shims. Can't wait to get this done to see how much higher it will be. Before height to the rocker was 23 1/2 inches.

Ok, I'm in a bad spot now. I figured I would have this thing done by the end of the day, but with my luck something always goes wrong.

I was worried about snapping a bolt, but I would have never imagined how bad of a problem I would face with the last bolt. It is the front leaf bolt on the driver side. Now most of you should know that there is no whole in the frame for the back side of the bolt. I'm guessing it was just a nut that is welded in there. Well, I put a BUNCH of PB on it at different times throughout the day but it would not get any easier. So I just started wrenching on it. Well it had multiple cracking noise a that bolts have sometimes while breaking loose and it kept doing it. So I thought that it would be fine since it kept going. Then all of the sudden a loud snap. When I go to look at it though, the bolt did not break. For some reason the eye of the leaf (the broken one so all that is there is just the bushing right now) did not let the bolt keep coming out and must of broke the welds on the nut inside of the frame.

So now I'm guessing I will have to cut open the "frame" and use a wrench on the bolt that is in there and then figure something out from there.

Anyone else had to deal with such a thing?

I’ve read on here to remove the carpet and cut hole from the top side and do as you suggested.

Back