• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing radiator/water pump and another problem...

alpinetiburon04

NAXJA Forum User
So I've found a leak in the water pump, and my radiator is shot. So I have some problems and questions:

1. There are three hoses on the driver's side of the radiator. What size wrench do I need to remove the top one? I think this goes back to the transmission?

2. How do I remove the bottom one? Probably return from transmission?

3. Someone please explain in some detail replacing the water pump. I have no idea how to do it.

4. Heater hoses: they go from the water pump and temp sensor housing back to an area around the condensor. They plug into a plastic cylinder with a valve inside of it. What is this thing? I broke mine in half trying to remove 15 year old heater hoses and I'm sure this is important. I just need to know what it is so I can buy another one. Any ideas where I can get the best price on one?

Thanks!

15 yrs old...........is it a 1990-1991? What engine? It sounds like the hoses you are referring to go to the heater control valve.

Yeah, I looked it up, it's definately the heater control valve. best price i've found is like $35. Anyone know a cheaper place? It's a 1991 cherokee sport with HO 4.0L.

water pump removal, i did it today it just so hppens. loosedn the 4 bolts on the pump pulley first, then removed the steering pump and bracket. unbolt all the bolts from the pump and removed the idler pulley next to the a/c condenser. then u r all set. o ya dont forget to drain the coolant first

IIRC the tranny lines are sort of snap fittings, two little plastic tabs you push in to release.. (on my 96 anyway).

If the older one uses tubing fittings you should try to get a proper flare/tubing wrench. An open wrench will fit but will really ruin yor day if you crush the fitting.

Back