• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler Idea, Is it Crazy?

Centrevillemx

NAXJA Forum User
If I used Glasspack and about a foot of exhaust pipe and turned it out near the passenger door would I get gas in the cabin? I just thought this setup would keep muffler related trail carnage to a minimum.....

I had a tailpipe break at about the C pillar spot on my 4-door and when the rear door window was down I got a dose of fumes when stopped or crawling. Its only a guess but it seems to me that the same would be true of a side-exit exhaust pipe.

How ya gonna get the pipe under the "frame"? if you run it under it could get beat up. You could run it thru, but you gotta weld in some renforcement. Or are you just planning on staying inside the frame and pointing it that way? If your choice is the later....yea...its gonna stink.

Rev

My tip got crushed last time I went out. Right now my exaust is cut about 10" - 12" forward of the rear bumper, so it dumps a bit under the car, that far backward isn't a problem though, even when idling at a stop I haven't seen a problem. I don't see myself crushing it there, it's right between the spring and the tank skid, so there's about 2" of stuff underneth it. This may be a good solution for you.

About the muffler and cat..well..there's nothing you can do for those bad boys easily. I'm going to have mine set up with bolt on connections (like the one just forward of the cat) between the pipe that goes over the axle and the muffler, that way if I damage it I can easily drop it out and repair it (I'm also going to have a trail only exaust and a street exaust, the trail only one can be beat to snot and it doesn't matter, you know?)

Sequoia

My friends at the exhaust shop twisted the pipe to exit out the side in front of the pass rear tire. Its angled down a abit too at the tip. No fumes so far. he tried to keep it so close to the body that some times it vibrates on the front leaf spring mount. Oh well. Was planning on welding a loop around the pipe where it goes under the subframe to keep it from getting twisted by brush/logs/etc.

The only thing against your idea is that it has to go under the framerail, that's why I didn't do this.

If you wanna go way custom you could have the pipe go from the header ,through in between the front control arms, and all the way down the side exiting in front of the rear tire. I thought up this trying to figure out how to run real duels.

XJ side pipes, yeaaaa

Back