• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats the easiest way to tell between a 8.25 or 35

tony597fitter

NAXJA Forum User
I feel like a dumba$$ asking this question, but whats the easiest way to tell between a 8.25 or a d35? I have a 92 cherokee laredo auto with rustys 3" full leaf pack lift with 1" spacers and shackles, adj. trackbar, fixed lower CAs, steering box brace, long travel yolk on 31x10.50 pro comp a/t on eagle 589s. Went to the junkyard today to look for parts and started to wonder what rear I had. When I got home I did a search and found some pics of the two but I still cant tell for sure. Of course the axle tag is missing and the only numbers I can find are in th front, bottom of the diff. the numbers are 4384213 and what seems to be a chrysler emblem, but I cant tell for sure. I want to get a limited slip or locker for it, if anyone has one let me know. Also do you guys recommend any lockers for highway driving and wheelin, if not I am going to go with a limited slip (better than nothing). Also how do I find out what gear ratio I have, I am ASSuming its a 3.55.

The 8.25" will have a flat bottom cast into it and the 35 is rounded on the bottom. Also,look for the initials "P.O.S." on there somewhere. If you see them,you'll know it's a 35 for sure.

You can get an ARB or a selectable locker, and you'll maintain your road manners along with gaining the off-road traction. They cost more though.

Back