• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Search and Rescue Jeep Update

Osprey413

NAXJA Forum User
So other than being burglarized on the first of march, the search and rescue project has been going well. Luckily the only thing the theifs got was the radio, case of CD's, my oakley sunglasses, and my checkbook. I changed my bank account, and the rest isn't required for a SAR jeep anyway.
For some reason the theifs overlooked the police scanner, CB radio, dashblaster, and directional bar.

One new addition I made yesterday was a Whelen 90watt remote strobe kit. These are the kind of lights that mount in your head and tail lights. I couldn't be happier with these lights. Since they mount in pre-existing lights they are completely "stealth" and since the control box is mounted under the seat there is only one "on/off" switch and a momentary switch to control pattern.

These things are almost blindingly bright and with 14 flash patterns, they make sure you are noticed.

They proved themselves tonight when I came up on a wreck and helped the Dallas Fire Department and Dallas Police Department direct traffic. They said I was brave to use my jeep to move traffic, but seemed generally happy to have the help since they had to move traffic in both directions of a major highway passing over another major highway.

When I got home I found four huge pieces of MDF sitting next to a dumpster behind the condo's I live in. I grabbed those pretty quick and will use them to build a drawer system for my trunk next weekend.

All in all, my luck is starting to turn around.

"Directional bar?" Some sort of Arrowstik? I've been thinking about mounting one of those, but inside the rear window (so it won't get caught on anything.)

I've done Wig-Wags and Traffic Backers (I spend a lot of time on the side of the road...) and I've been thinking about an Arrowstik to add some more "attention-getting" power (in addition to the 50W stop, turn, tail, and reverse lights.)

5-90

out of curiosity, how do you all make movies? i.e. do you have digital videocameras or are you using a digital still camera that has a short film option?

Back