• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 to 4.0 non-HO

dfreeman616

NAXJA Forum User
i'm looking at picking up a 86 MJ with 95k miles on it, but a 2.8L with a cracked block. it's a manual, and suposedly the tranny and t-case are good. my question is, what would it take to swap in a 4.0l, since i've got an extra one at the moment in a wrecked 89 XJ? would it be worth keeping the tranny and t-case in the MJ (can i even?), or just swap in my AW4 and t-case (either NP242 or 231, depending on what I decide to do)? Again, depending on which way I go, I could put either a 4.0 with 60k or 177k in it, and likewise for the AW4. The NP242 has 177k on it, the NP231 has unknown miles, either 230+K or about 60.

oh, and i did some searches on the subject and didn't find much of anything useful. if anyone has another thread with the info i'm looking for, please enlighten me.

anyone know what specificly they changed? i have a wrecked 89 xj, so i may be able to use that to adapt it, it depends on what fab work would be needed. even if i don't do it, it could still be useful for someone else.

Kep searching if you haven't started already. I'll give you a hint: I've posted before that "old_man" has done this before...go to Advanced Search and you'll see how that hint may be beneficial to you.

ok, did the search, and from what i understand the things i need to do are:

1. get everything asociated with the later drivetrain, including wiring, from my parts xj (89)
2. hammer some part of the firewall to fit the new motor
3. cut the radiator support
4. swap the hoods
5. start bolting it together

does that sum it up? i've got pretty much a whole cherokee to use, just with a wrecked rear end.

Back