• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe Best Shocks

89BlackXJ

NAXJA Forum User
There was a great post about shocks answering my questions a while back but i cant seem to find it now...... and yes i have searched. So i was wondering if anyone could answer my questions. Which shocks will give you the smoothest on road ride for my wifes rig. I was looking at Bilstein 5100's or 5150. I dont know about the SAW's but iv'e heard good things.....so i want some feedback from people with different shocks to find out which will give her the smoothest ride possible. I dont know much about valving so for whatever shock i may choose which would be the appropriate valving? Also on a 4.5 lifted jeep what would be the appropriate compressed and extended length for them? Thanx for any help you can offer.

There's a big difference between having a properly valved shock for off road running and having a shock that gives a comfortable on road ride. A shock that's stiff enough for prerunning will give a firmer ride on road, and a shock with soft enough valving for a cushy road ride will be too soft for prerunning. The best ride will likely be a monotube shock specifically designed for an XJ, possibly like an RE monotube or a Bilstien 5100 with application for an XJ. The monotube shocks generally ride better, even with firmer valving, because of their high pressure gas design.

Thanx goatman... i was also looking at the monotube Monroe Sensa-trac. They are supposed to be a great ride with firm control as well.....anyone with any experience versus the 5100's?

Ok i did more research and if i went to the monroes i would use the reflex but my main concern now is are they just for unlifted jeeps? It seems that they wont accomidate the travel that i need. Does anyone know about this?

Don't know anything about them, but I do know you have to look in the shock spec book to make sure you get the right length. Problem with getting shocks for a stock type rig is that when you go to a longer shock it could be for a different application and so different valving.....one of those unknowns. A monotube shock made for a lifted XJ could be your safest bet.

Go to the Bilstein website and download the Valving Reference Chart under the Off Road Section. It should answer your questions or at least give you a Valving reference to start from.

89BlackXJ said:
Ok i did more research and if i went to the monroes i would use the reflex but my main concern now is are they just for unlifted jeeps? It seems that they wont accomidate the travel that i need. Does anyone know about this?

U r correct, no applications for lifted Jeeps.

FWIW, i run RE monotube's and think they might be too stiff for your wife's rig. My RE's are great off-road and are stiff as, mentioned above on-road. I like to drive "spirited" so i don't mind that she rides like a tuner on 22" rims.
OME's on 4 corners would be a treat for her from what i've heard. Just another suggestion.

The best way to figure out shocks is to go flex it out without shocks on it. Then you want to take compressed and extended measurements and compare them to the length charts on Bilstein's website. I would suggest going with the 5125's (5100's) vs the 5150s. I have heard of problems with the 5150's leaking.

HTH,
Charles

Back