• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stronger 260 ujoint?

PAPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So last night I blew another 260 ujoint and shaft. I know I need to upgrade but I have a run coming up tomorrow and I don't have time to get my hands on some better shafts. All I have is a few sets of trail spares that are all 260's.

Do they make such thing as a stronger 260 ujoint? I have been running the heavy duty NAPA ones and they last about 1/2 of a run.

Is there anyway to use my existing 260 shafts and install/fabricate some semi-trailworthy ujoints? (Welding the caps, doesn't do the trick)

I only have today to get this done so I have to purchase the joints from NAPA, Schuck's, Autozone, Carquest, or an offroad shop that carries them.

The strongest joint is a Spicer joint. If you use Spicer and weld the caps, that's as strong as you can get. You might back off the throttle a little bit, make sure you climb with your tires straight ahead (don't climb with the wheels turned), and ease it when the tire gets in a bind. If you can't make 1/2 a trail without breaking a joint, you're either driving too hard or your tires are too big.

Have fun, :)

Goatman said:
The strongest joint is a Spicer joint. If you use Spicer and weld the caps, that's as strong as you can get. You might back off the throttle a little bit, make sure you climb with your tires straight ahead (don't climb with the wheels turned), and ease it when the tire gets in a bind. If you can't make 1/2 a trail without breaking a joint, you're either driving too hard or your tires are too big.

Have fun, :)

Thanks...Any idea who carries the spicer joints? Napa and Schuck's don't have them in stock.

tealcherokee said:
im assuming this would be on the same axle that has the booger welded carrier?

Your assumption is correct...???

I used to have the smaller 5-260X joints on my early Bronco before upgrading the shafts to the 297 size (760 now) but, comparing the yokes of the old shafts side by side with the newer shafts.....they're identicle aside from the smaller holes in the 260 shafts (at least on my Bronco, anyway). My point is, you could probably have the yokes on the shafts and stubs opened up to the 297X size and have a cheap upgrade. Check it out............Hans

will the 297 size ujoint not fit in the stock yoke of a 260 ujoint? I thought the caps were the same size but the cross was beefier??

Nope.. the whole joint it different. Got to get different shafts to run the 297 or 760 joints. (those two are interchangeable)

Back