• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading Axles

jeepboy_90

NAXJA Forum User
Is it worth it to upgrade my spline count on my axles?
I would be upgrading a D30 to 30 spline inner and my D44 to 33 spline. Both are going to be running ARB,s with USA Alloy axles. I am going to run 33,s and it will be wheeled mildly. I would also have to buy spares? Which would be extra cost. Would it be better to run stock spline count and just save my stock axles shafts as spares.

jeepboy_90 said:
...I am going to run 33,s and it will be wheeled mildly.
I think you'll be fine with 27 spline fronts and 30 spline rears. If you're smart with the skinny pedal and keep away from places like JV, don't worry about breaking those alloy shafts. If you have the room and don't mind the extra weight, you can carry your stock shafts as spares.

Oh yeah...make sure to use snap rings (AKA full circle clips), not c-clips on the u-joints.

yeah, youll be fine w/ stock axles and 33's even if you do romp on it

it took me on 35x16" boggers to break a stock 44 shaft in the rear, and driving like an ass

jeepboy_90 said:
Is it worth it to upgrade my spline count on my axles?
I would be upgrading a D30 to 30 spline inner and my D44 to 33 spline. Both are going to be running ARB,s with USA Alloy axles. I am going to run 33,s and it will be wheeled mildly. I would also have to buy spares? Which would be extra cost. Would it be better to run stock spline count and just save my stock axles shafts as spares.

Yes, when you're starting from scratch and buying lockers, it's worth it to upgrade to bigger axle shafts. We all started out wheeling midly on 33's, but for some reason, a few years down the road, we get a different idea. :)

I think it's smart to spend your money on the biggest stuff you can get when you do the first build up. Too many of us have spent money twice to build bigger later.

Oh, and I don't know that I'd take advice about getting bigger axles from someone who runs welded stock diffs...... :D

Goatman said:
Yes, when you're starting from scratch and buying lockers, it's worth it to upgrade to bigger axle shafts. We all started out wheeling midly on 33's, but for some reason, a few years down the road, we get a different idea. :)

I think it's smart to spend your money on the biggest stuff you can get when you do the first build up. Too many of us have spent money twice to build bigger later.

Oh, and I don't know that I'd take advice about getting bigger axles from someone who runs welded stock diffs...... :D

Right on all three counts.

Back