• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

setting up gears

warwagon98xj

NAXJA Forum User
i would like to learn how to set up gears from what ive read it seems like its more just adding and removing shims till the pattern is right and setting the backlash. is it that simple or am i missing something?

any help would be appreciated

Your missing setting the preload on the pinion bearings too. There are alot of tools involved, it will cost more to buy the tools than to have your gears setup once, if you arent going to do it several times its not really worth it.

i wanna learn how to setup gears if i have to buy a couple tools like the dial indicator and case spreader im sure i can find it on ebay

Nothing wrong with learning to do it yourself!

I would suggest getting a rear end or two that you can just set up and tear apart for practice.

You will need more than just a dial indicator and case spreader though.

You will also need an inch/pound dial guage torque wrench, bearing seperator/splitter kit, dial calipers to measure shims, 10 ton press to install bearings onto carrier, foot/pound torque wrench, and various other sockets and wrenches.

cal said:
Your missing setting the preload on the pinion bearings too. There are alot of tools involved, it will cost more to buy the tools than to have your gears setup once, if you arent going to do it several times its not really worth it.
You don't have to buy a LOT of tools. You want/need:
dial indicator, a base for the said dial indicator, an inch pound torque wrench which isn't of the click type (very very hard to find) and a regular torque wrench, simple bearing puller. Oh yeah, forgot to mention the rubber mallet and two prybars. I think that's it.
You don't really need the case spreader thought but the press comes in handy.

Also a micrometer to read shim thickness.
Im getting ready to regear my D44 and D30. Im torn between spending $1000 to buy the necessary tools to do it in my garage or going to my brother in laws and use his stuff (again). I took my axles to his place and we regeared my YJ. If I do them in my garage I will really miss his hydraulic lift. Much better than doing it on the concrete, especially when its cold.

Ray H said:
Also a micrometer to read shim thickness.
Im getting ready to regear my D44 and D30. Im torn between spending $1000 to buy the necessary tools to do it in my garage
$1000???? What are you buying???? All mentioned, including a 20Ton press doesn't come nowhere near close to a $1000.
Rough guesstimates:
20ton press less then 200
Dial indicator about 20
Base for the indicator abotu 20
in/lb Torque wrench about 50
ft/lb Torque wrench about 50
Rubber mallet: $20
2 Pry bars: $20
Bearing separator $20

Btw, I have overerstimated the prices and I'm only at $400. I know I must be missing couple items from the list, but how did you get o $1000?????

Your cost estimates on most of those tools is way low and you left out a few: micrometer, TRE puller or fork, brass punches, seal puller, huge pipe wrench, I can keep going but you get the idea. By the end of the day, it adds up.
Anyways, I wasnt completely accurate when I stated $1000 for the (NEEDED) tools. You can get by much cheaper if you buy only what is NECESSARY to do it.
$1000 was for the tools I would LIKE to have to do it. For instance, theres a sweet tool called a pinion depth tool that makes setting the pinion depth a one time shot, and after this last wrestling match I had getting my D44 carrier out of the housing im ready for a case spreader, I consider a set of setup bearings essentual, whether you make them or buy them.

Tally_XJ said:
Nothing wrong with learning to do it yourself!

I would suggest getting a rear end or two that you can just set up and tear apart for practice.

You will need more than just a dial indicator and case spreader though.

You will also need an inch/pound dial guage torque wrench, bearing seperator/splitter kit, dial calipers to measure shims, 10 ton press to install bearings onto carrier, foot/pound torque wrench, and various other sockets and wrenches.

thats what im planning on doing a friend of mine just swapped his 35 out for an 8.8 and im pplanning on buying that for practice.

i think there is just a big mystery about diffs cause they dont in NORMAL use wear out all that often so its not like putting on brakes or overhauling a sbc.

x2 on the setup bearings.

Take your old bearings out and have them machined(or do it yourself with a die grinder) on the inside of the inner race so that they slip on and off easily. Then you use them to setup your gears and don't have to press/pull the bearings on and off everytime you change shims. Once you have your pattern press on the new bearings.

In fact if you did it this way you could get away without the press and puller. Have a shop pull off your bearings, clearance them, setup the gears and then have them pressed back on. That is if you are really on a budget.

I found the above prices for tools to be fairly accurate with the exception of the bearing seperator. The bearing seperator and puller will run closer to $80 for the pair.

If you plan on doing more than one diff I think its worth it to buy the tools. Also GM sells the best gearing marking compound or some oil paints mixed with a bit of gear oil works as well.

The Yukon gears I bought had a really good set of instructions with them. Best I've seen so far. May want to check if they are on their website.

Pay someone to press old bearings off.

Setup bearings are really helpful. Make a set from the old bearings.

A big pipe wrench is handy. I got a 24" from HF cheap.

A BFH is not needed, but handy. I got one from a pawn shop for about $2.

A beam or dial type inch pound torque wrench is needed. I got one on ebay, but one can be ordered from a bicycle shop for under $50.

Micrometers are nice, but a 6" digital caliper can be had from HF for under $20.

A regular Ft lb torque wrench and a couple of pry bars are also needed.

Toss in some basic hand tools and you have most of the stuff needed to do the job.

Oh, another thing thats needed is something to use as a punch to remove and install races. I used a 1/2" extension once then I got my hands on a piece of 5/8" steel round bar. The round bar works great for tapping races in.

A cheap seal puller is also really handy.

my dad used to be a machinist so we have dial calipers and micrometers all over. i have acess to a 12 ton press. thanx for all the in put, i want to learn how to do this because i can rebuild engines, tcases, transmissions, any other vehicle repairs except axles that and im gonna be putting bigger tires on the xj eventually and the open rearend is really starting to (censored).

not to mention the cost of paying someone else to do it

Back