• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

05 TJ 4.0 into an 01 XJ

they are both obd2 and same block and virtaully the same everything. Different cam, and different position of the belt accessories, the alt is at the top, not the bottom. I dont think there is any conflict, its a direct bolt in as far as i can think of.:compwork:

Last edited:
block shouldn't be a problem, mech fan is right in line with the engine on the TJ unlike the xj where it is off to the left............i'm sure there are other things to consider too

tranny might cause some trouble too depending......

The fan/pulley systems are different. You would have to swap over the XJ pulley and fan set to the TJ block. I think that the power steering set up is slightly different also, but don’t know for sure. Check on the header too, I recall there being different part numbers for TJ vs XJ. Other than that the TJ engine should be compatible with an XJ.

pikey77 said:
Anyone know if a 4.0 from al newer TJ would be a straight swap to an 01 XJ with a 4.0?

I looked into this, and it's not a straight swap. Accessories are in different locations so wiring would have to be modified. I seem to remember the fan mounted differently and didn't line up with the XJ radiator shroud. Also on a TJ, the front axle is further forward on the engine (one of the accessories hung down low and I was worried about interference during flex). Finally the 05 fuel system won't work with the older fuel pump/tank.

In theory it would be a straight swap but, after looking into it, I just got a good long block.

Back