• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 arb rd116

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
I've searched high and low, contacted the shop I purchased my ARB from, and asked ARB themselves--no luck! Still waiting for a response! So maybe some one in NAXJA-land can answere the following question: What direction does the rounded shoulder of the Master shims point? To me, the install manual is not clear regarding the master shim located on the ring-gear side of the locker. It says "--assemble the master shim on the air seal with the rounded shoulder facing out--". I'm not sure if this means facing towards the ring gear, or if it means facing towards the axle tube. I believe the manual is clear with regard to the master shim orientation on the side opposite the ring gear , indicating the shoulder faces the axle tube. For those not familiar with the re designed D44 ARB's, the carrier shims are out board of the carrier bearings, and include two "master shims" that are .175 thick each, in addition to the standard shims necessary to find tune back lash. Also, as a practical matter, it appears you must use a case spreader to install the carrier with the required amount of preload; trying to pound .002 shims into the diff housing is a skill I've yet to master.

I just looked at my RD116 manual on page 15 and it's talking about installing the master shim on the seal housing with the rounded edge out. IOW, facing out from the seal housing, not the locker.
This would mean the rounded edge goes toward the bearing on that side.

Thanks for the reply--your interpretation of page 15 is the same as mine, I just wasn't sure because it doesn't say: "--facing out with respect to the seal housing--". Did you need to use a spreader installing your ARB?

xjbubba said:
Thanks for the reply--your interpretation of page 15 is the same as mine, I just wasn't sure because it doesn't say: "--facing out with respect to the seal housing--". Did you need to use a spreader installing your ARB?
Haven't installed it yet.
Still building the 44 but, yes, I think you should use a spreader to get good bearing preload.

Back