• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best priced steering conversion

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought a buddies cherokee and the first thing i must do is upgrade the steering. a lot of slop while driving and i dont feel its real safe to be honest, im at about 6 to 7 inches of lify on 35's. what is the best and most affordable way for me to go with my steering, i know crossover steering setups are pretty spendy but is there something reasonably priced? thanks for the help.

I've got Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion Kit in my 92 XJ with a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift. I actually got 5" front and almost 6" rear lift out of this lift kit.

If you don't plan on bouncing off rocks, it would probably be a good choice at $240. My steering is very tight and responsive, I would even say that it's better than when I was stock height with stock steering linkages. One nice point about this kit is that it uses factory Wrangler tie rod ends, so replacements are as close as your local parts store:D

after3.jpg

Did u read the Sticky Post on the first page of Modified Tech... Theres a Dana 30 Steering sticky with a good breakdown of options.

I personally would say stay away from the Rustys Tie Rod conversion... I had it and it sucked...
just my $.02

dellstopjeep said:
i just bought a buddies cherokee and the first thing i must do is upgrade the steering. a lot of slop while driving and i dont feel its real safe to be honest, im at about 6 to 7 inches of lify on 35's. what is the best and most affordable way for me to go with my steering, i know crossover steering setups are pretty spendy but is there something reasonably priced? thanks for the help.
If your steering wheel has a lot of side to side play, it's probably the steering box.
Diagnose the problem before throwing $ at new linkage.

The stock linkage does suck and should probably be replaced if you plan to wheel it very hard. But, if your problem is in the box, replace that first.

I would prefer people not bad mouth part if you don't know about them. You say you had rustys set up, but did you have the first generation or second or the generation now? The first couple generations had some geometry issues and yes they sucked but I have had the ORO steering, Currie steering, and Rustys tie rod conversion and You can't really tell a difference in the new style from rustys as he has fixed the geometry issues.

LilRedRover said:
I would prefer people not bad mouth part if you don't know about them. You say you had rustys set up, but did you have the first generation or second or the generation now? The first couple generations had some geometry issues and yes they sucked but I have had the ORO steering, Currie steering, and Rustys tie rod conversion and You can't really tell a difference in the new style from rustys as he has fixed the geometry issues.

Second generation and ummmmmmm it sucked.....

i think what he's tryin to say, is get a right hand drive draglink, get the tapered inserts, drill out the knuckles, put in the inserts, and run an over the knuckle with stock parts.

yep flip inserts are from goferit offroad and you can source a right hand drive draglink anywhere you want.
My draglink is so much flatter now. I should be able to get it aligned after work tommorrow and post some pics.

Would it be possible to use the goferit flip insert on just the driver side knuckle and a big daddy offroad tierod with the stock draglink?

yes, but you will have to cut and remount the swaybar mounts, i did.
BlueXJ1013 said:
Would it be possible to use the goferit flip insert on just the driver side knuckle and a big daddy offroad tierod with the stock draglink?

BlueXJ1013 said:

Any tie rod that would fit in the stock location with out needing the tapers made bigger would work with the flip inserts.

Starboard M said:
Im trying to figure myself what I want to do. Im thinking about doing the Goferit flip inserts, and then parts mike stuff.
Im not sure if they are the same size hole though. Only thing holding me up.

they arent...

but after the goferit is welded in, it could be reamed....

Back