• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbe Here!!

Rocfrog

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I'm new to the forum but I have been lurking for some time now and have done a little searching before I posted so I don't get ran over by the "Search Police" LOL!

Here goes!

I recently got a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it's bone stock! I want it to be 70% street and 30% off-road. So I thought about 33x12.50R15 tires and some new front and rear bumpers (winch style), some sort of rocker protection and a roof rack for the toys! Maybe later some limited slips and 35's. So my questions are what is the best products to pull this off?? I will be installing all the products my self. I am a compentant backyard mechanic and I'm a metal fabricator for a living! I just want some help with your experiance so I don't buy crap, because this is a daily driver and will be my only means of transportation here soon!

So lift kit...I'm looking for some simple and bolt on style some modification is ok but not alot. Bumpers...Looking for bolt on style with light holes, recivers, and shackles (D-rings). The rear bumper I want to hold one maybe two spares and some "Jerry Cans". Roof rack...just something simple and about 4x8 in size. Rocker protection...something simple and clean.

Now this is where I get 400 replies that say "Your a metal fabractor for a living why don't you jsut build your own bumper's and roof racks and things??" Well just because I don't have a lot of free time right now so it would just be easier to buy then build. I might end up building some of them if there not avaible but I like supporting the aftermarket with out them some people would not have rigs!

Anyway thanks in advance for your help I'll post some pics soon!

Nick

You probably wont get too many replies because this is not a grand cherokee forum. But I will answer some of your questions. The first thing to work on would be recovery items. For the rear you could get yourself a quality receiver hitch, that way you could use it for towing as well as recovery, They sell hooks that go into the receiver. For the front you could do the same or get some factory tow hooks. If you put a hitch in the front somewhere down the road you could get a hitch mounted winch and use it either in back or the front. everything can be had at resonable prices on ebay. Surco has roof racks that can be used to carry a spare as well as highlift and other things like shovel, ax ect. Ebay is also a good place to find skid plates. The dealer has them as well but that route would most likely a bit pricey. As far as a lift would go there are a couple of options, coil spacers would be the cheapest. Springs would be a better alternative. I really cant elaborate anymore on the lifts because I never had a GC. You can go to jeepforum.com to get more info. Im sure there are others but I dont know off hand, maybe someone here can help with more info. Good luck!

Back