• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smokin' motor

Sarge

NAXJA Forum User
Got a motor which smokes a wee bit on start-up. Figure that's most likely valves. It also smokes (a lot!) under load. Also once you pass 75 it begins to smoke all the time and once you pass 80, holey cow! It'll get a compression/leak down check but I'd like to have an idea prior to that. I'm thinking rings myself?

Sarge
:helpme:

I bet you're right but you could check the CCV. If this is a 1990 or older like mine, there is a small CCV tube from the back of the valve cover to the intake manifold. If it is stopped up, then your air intake snorkel tube will pull a small vacuum on the big tube which goes to the front of the valve cover. If this happens, the big tube stops being a filtered air supply for the crankcase and becomes a source of oily air to be sucked into the snorkel and throttle body and it could cause smoke. Its a long shot because if you are getting this much oil, the filter will be soaked. Anyway, if you have this condition, the more you gun it, the more you suck oil into your throttle body.

Mine is a 90 and it does that for about 2 mins after starting up. then it goes away

Back