• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

repainting leafs/axles

XJ_Vikings

NAXJA Forum User
Im planning on swapping a 6" lift for my 4" and i figured i would "refurbish" some things while i had it apart. Among them would be sanding down and repainting my axles and my leafs. Has anyone ahd experience with either of these? Im curious about what type of paint i should use, especially on the leafs. People have suggested a graphite paint or even lubing inbetween the leafs. I have heard of people rhinolining the axles as well. any suggestions, warnings etc.?

thanks

Use a wire wheel instead of sanding. Much faster way of removing old paint. Never painted leafs.

Dont' paint the leafs, you'll look like a mall crawler. Get some black spray paint, and go to town, but no more than that. As for the axle, a wire wheel should be fine, then get some Rustoleum Professional from a Home Depot or Lowes in the color you want.

My nephew used the spray on bed liner from Wal-Mart on his axles after the cleaning of course. turned out really nice

They make a special paint for leafs that will help them have less friction. I believe Goatman has talked about it before. Might be worth looking into.-------------Kyle

You can get the graphite paint at Tractor Supply or most farm supply stores. It's used on the bottom of bush hogs or any where a slick surface is needed. Comes in spray can or brush on.

graphite paint+leaf liners= a lot better ride and flex..

87manche said:
little teflon pads to put between the leaves so they don't rub on eachother.

i actually used the full length ones that i bought from a spring shop in town. They go the full length of the leaf

There was an article recently in one of the 4x4 mags regarding springs. They were having a custom set tweaked by the original manufacturer, Deaver Springs. If I remember correctly Deaver seemed to prefer using some sort of lubricant like antiseize over the teflon pieces. Seemed to opine that the teflon pieces get ruined to quickly.

xjj33p3r said:
Dont' paint the leafs, you'll look like a mall crawler. Get some black spray paint, and go to town, but no more than that. As for the axle, a wire wheel should be fine, then get some Rustoleum Professional from a Home Depot or Lowes in the color you want.

I respectfully disagree. If its functional its never mall crawler. If its pureshow that mall, like if he painted them gold! lol. Good quality paint to stop rust is not showie in and of itself.

I have a set of OEM(?) leafpacks that are in great shape... But being the stickler that I am, I just ordered 3 spraycans of graphite paint from the local paint & wallpaper store (same brand they sell at the TSC - www.agspecialty.com/EZslide.htm) AND 50 feet of .093" x 2.5" PTFE (http://www.enflo.com/products/skived_ptfe_tape.php) this stuff was expensive - a 50 foot roll cost a bit over $120.

I also have a new 2" full-length AALs to install. Once the paint comes in, I'll clean up the leafs, coat them, cut the liners, and put them all together. Hopefully I'll have the slickest-working set of 'small-lift' leafpacks ever built :D If not, I'm still only into them for apprx $200 for the pair.

Back