• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How big is your stock transfer case spacer

Ridr

NAXJA Forum User
How big/thick is the spacer in between the unibodies "frame rail" and the transfer cases crossmemeber on a stock XJ ??

????
Crossmember bolts up flush against the frame.
0"

I'm pretty sure it is stock height,I measured once comparing them to other XJ' on the boards to see if I had any spring sag. I was right on the money for stock height. Why would someone lower it with no lift ??

My XJ is stock and the crossmember has no spacer on it. It is mounted flush.
Alex

TransferSkid2.jpg

OK , so the first owner must have lowered it (or had it lowered) I bought it with 60000 miles in 2001 , local trade in . What was he up to ....hmmmmmmmmm. surly he didn't have the jeep lifted and then set it back down to trade it in

There's occasionally been rumor 'round these parts that the t-case redesign for 96+ XJs resulted in the factory using a 1" t-case drop on some of the XJs - typically those with the Up-Country package. My understanding is that the drop was something installed by many dealers so the actual design may vary.

Ordinarily, stock XJ crossmembers mount flush to the rails.

That looks like the standard block that the dealers used when looking to fix vibrations in the later model XJ,s.
Wayne

I have to think I'd be pissed if I bought a new XJ and the dealer dropped the T-case to get rid of vibes. I wouldnt pay $20000+ on a new vehicle to have them RIG it if its not working right.

A dealer might have done it . It was supposedly only used to pull a small boat (it does have the towing package) and was running bridgstone street tires when I got it so I don't think the owner did it.
I'm not pissed , just curious as to why it was like that and if it was a stock deal or not. Actually it kinda helps me LOL , now I know for sure I will need a SYE no matter what lift I go with.

Maybe someone took the lift out, OR it's a Country package that is sagging a bit? (that would make it same as stock height new)

carnuck said:
Maybe someone took the lift out, OR it's a Country package that is sagging a bit? (that would make it same as stock height new)
Country is a trim level available 93-97.

Up-Country is a package that typically included a 1" factory lift along with skids and I believe a heavier tranny cooler. Details have been bandied about in here many times.

As was said several times previously in this thread; the 96+ t-case is very prone to vibes and the t-case drop was used to fix that issue post-assembly.

Some more trivia to file away..

The cross member for a np231 has a built in drop of around 3/4 inch from the factory when compared to the crossmember for an np242 transfer case. So if you put a np231 crossmember on a jeep with an np242 in it you end up lowering your 242 a bit. As many of you know, the np242 hangs a bit lower than the 231.

When I put a stock crossmember from a jeep with a 231 in it into my jeep with a 242, the factory tcase skid no longer fit without a spacer on the skid part and I had to add one.

Not that this has a lot to do with anything.

KH

Last edited:
Back