• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chrysler 8.25

The only way to tell is to pull a shaft and count the splines. You might be able to get the build code off of the axle tag and decifer it but not sure about that.

mmm.......well the best answer is to pull one of the shafts. The next best guess I can give you is to check your build date and see if yours was built in the later part of the year, then you might have lucked out and gotten a 29 spline. But other than that there is no visual indication on the outside of the axle.

you can count the splines without pulling the axle, but you will need to pull the diff cover and drain the fluid. lift the arse of your rig to get the rear tires off the ground. push the DS tire towards the passenger side, it may only move a millimeter or 2. now you should be able to see the splines on the DS. mark your starting spline with a sharpie or whiteout and count that one last.
I have 29 splines on mine and my build date was 9-96.
Hope this helps.

Sweet. It's going on 23h00 here but I'll be up early to go wheeling tomorrow so I should be able to get back to you in about 7or 8 hours.

Andre

:speepin:

It will tell you the build date though, which can be a good indication.

cal said:
It will tell you the build date though, which can be a good indication.

the build date is on the drivers door...provided it's still there(the white tag), if not yes the VIN will tell you build date, but as far as spline count it won't tell you. if this is a question of buying a locker as opposed to just "wanting to know", do the count and know for sure. look at the bright side...fresh gear oil mmmmmmmmm.

my 96 is a 27 spline. Don't know the month specific, but I'm not going down to check right now.

If you search back far enough(2-3 years) you will find the info i uncovered on this subject.
You will need the axle code from the paper tag located on the axle between the DS brake drum and spring.Most are missing.The VIN search will show when the vehicle was built this info is what the dealer parts guy will use to determin what replacement axle to sell you.Build date up to 5/15/95 got the 27 spline,after 5/15/95 got the 29 spline.TO BE SURE what you have--Pull the cover and count.
Wayne

DubaiXJ said:
Not so. From the VIN I can get the correct part number for a shaft, specific to that VIN and from the part number I can tell if it's 27 or 29.

Andre

I called DC and they said it wasn't possible, same with 3 dealership's. I must of had the moron squad. At least someone at DC knows something. I'm adding to my "friends" list Andre!

Last edited:
uhh, your 5/15 date is crap. Mine was built 7/96 and has 27 splines. I pulled the rearend apart and counted. Yeah, and fresh gear oil at $18/quart? not so worth it. I would say that unless the date on the door is after 8/96, dont bother, its 27. and if you find out its wrong, send the locker back and get the right one.

Back