• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Bearing help please

LilRedRover

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and found a lot of stuff, but nothing quite what I am looking for... Went to get a modified inspection the other day b/c in West Virginia they charge you out the ass for having a lifted vehicle and you have to have a special inspection sticker (bullsh*t) anyways, I was rejected b/c of bad wheel bearings, which I knew were going to need to be changed soon anyways... I bought the new bearing for cast rotors which I have (99 XJ) and put them on. Everything spins freely until I tourque the lugs down and then everything seizes up. I got down and looked and the rotor is so close to the caliper bracket that I can't tell if it's touching or not, which probably means it is. Could they have given me the hub assemblies for cast rotors by mistake? If so do I need to take them back or can I just throw a couple washers inbetween the hub assembly and caliper bracket where the 3 13mm 12 points are and would that solve it?

There are three different styles of rotor/hub combinations. You have new hubs that are either too new or too old...sorry but i cant be more specific than that...a close comparison of the old and new hubs will show the minor differences...in a last ditch effort you can get the bill of materials number from the axle tube to find out what year the axle was made for. Some auto parts catalogs dont properly differentiate the year model changes.

Back