• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ front end "shake"

coreys

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 88 XJ 4x4. I have had a weird "shake" in the front end as I gain speed from time to time. It can be violent! Most of the time I can let off the gas and it will stop. It does not happen every time I accelerate. I replaced the rear drive shaft U joints. Could it be the front drive shaft U joints? Is the Death wobble only a problem with lifted XJ's?

Thanks

Last edited:
I had an 88 with a similar problem. It ended up being the front drive shaft u-joints. But it only was bad at highway speeds and was there all the time on the highway.

my (stock height) MJ does this when i reach about 50 mph then quits before 55 and never shakes any other time. doesnt bother me much since it only happens for like 3-4 mph speed and not even all the time. but i guess it could be forewarning to other problems.

is this the same as your problem?

First off, check to make sure that you don't have any loose parts in your front suspension. Do this by having a buddy turn the wheel back and forth about 4-6" while you are laying in front of the Jeep watching every joint in the suspension and steering. Pay close attention to your tie rod ends and especially the frame end of the trackbar. If any of the joints are loose, replace them.

Then take your Jeep down to a local reputable shop and have the tire balance and alignment checked. When my 92 XJ was stock, I had a death wobble problem that ended up being the front end being toed in too far.

Back