• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 2WD - 4WD Tail swap???

tjbliley

NAXJA Forum User
Can the tail sections from the AW4 be swapped between the 2WD and the 4WD. I have a 2WD AW4 on a 2.5 and I would like to swap in the tail section from a 4WD and add a np207. This is for my 88 MJ. I don't know if any ofthis makes any sense, but I am new so be kind.I am just grabbing at straws. I got the t-case for free and I am trying to stick to a budget.

Yes, the housings can be swapped - but the tailshafts themselves are also different - and you'll have to change those as well. It's not as simple as you'd like to think (and if you haven't been inside a slushbox before, get some help to save you frustration...)

5-90

yup its an aw4. I am almost positive. I know its an automatic and i am just going based on the shape and hookups. I am going to pull it in a few days and I will know better then. I also have a tranny and t-case i got with a new motor. They are the 904 and np-207. I want to swap the t-case and a new tail for my aw4 into my MJ. If its too much trouble I will just keep it the way it is.

If it's an AW-4 then yes the tailhousing, shaft and sennsor can be changed out from 2wd to 4wd version, but like 5-90 said it's not a small endeavor. That's also how you change from the 21- to 23-spline outputs if needed.

Take a look at the right rear side of the tranny; there is a small square ID tag identifying it. If it's an AW-4 it will say Aisin-Warner on it and give one of two or three model types. Take a look at the bottom left of his pic just above the pan:

aw4.jpg

Back