• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power lockes won't lock

Jeep Freak

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88 with power locks and the actuators won't lock the door. i have power going to all them and you can see them try to move it to the locked position but it doesn't. this is on all four days. is this common? is there a good fix for it???? tried lubing up all the parts and that still didn't work. help!

what will the broken wire be for??? like i said locks are getting power and trying to actuate the locks but doesn't seem to have enough power.

the wire(s) are for the locks. they usually get wet over time and i guess thats where there is the most wear on the carpet from driving with your feet right over them.

if you can see them 'try' to move in both directions - lock and unlock - then you don't have a wiring problem.

there are two different things to check now.
the locks won't open & close for either a lack of voltage to them or seized mechanisms.

check for the voltage at one of the locks when you open & close them. there is a writeup for a fix if you don't get the 12v or close to the locks. do a search.

if you get enough power to the locks you need to oil the lock mechanisms. open up one door and spray it with wd40...

if you have the keyless entry system on your ride, you already have the relay system the writeup suggests. it is more likely a seized mechanism thing then.

i did both of the mentioned things to my former '87 and the locks slammed shut like champions after it.

cheers,

michael

Back