• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Rear Tow Hook!!

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
Is this worth buying? I can get a good deal on it.

Reartowhook.jpg

I don't really want to spend the money on a rear hitch.

a good hitch is 1/4 steel with 8 bolts holding it onto the frame. it'll hold up to a run-n-jerk pull. if you're just putting it on to say "yeah, I've got a rear hook" or only do rock wheeling, then it'll be ok. but, if you get yourself stuck in some nasty mud... I wouldn't trust it. there just isn't enough frame contact given how thin the metal in the frame is.

I've got a 5000lb hitch in the back, with a receiver hook. that thing is strong!

Mine works good I got a ebay one shipped for @ 25 but you are gonna have to make something for that thing to bolt to because that rear sheetmetal sux my backing plate is about a 1/2 inch thick

If you have access to a junk yard and some time you should check there. I see hitches on Cherokee's here all the time.

Anyone know if those mount on the passenger or drivers side?

I was thinking about taking the back bumper off and putting like a 1/4 strip of steel up in the unibody that I could drill out and bolt to.

andrew2516 said:
Anyone know if those mount on the passenger or drivers side?

I was thinking about taking the back bumper off and putting like a 1/4 strip of steel up in the unibody that I could drill out and bolt to.

Driver's

The tow hook points toward the ground and the tow strap falls off constantly. Tow hitches are cheap at the junkyard.
standard.jpg

The reasons I'm not buying a hitch are

1) Loss of departure angles
2) Money...
3) Don't like the looks of a hitch

Thanks guys

Anyone know where I could order a nut strip from online?
I don't have any dealers close to me.

andrew2516 said:

The nutrail you would attempt to make is not really all that flat, per se.

Take a look at the pic a few posts above, and look at Item 2. It's got some bend and kinks along the way to fit the contour of the unibody channel...

A place to mail order them from is from http://www.mopar-parts-dealer.com/

I just recently purchase a power lock acutator from them and got a lot cheaper than if I had gotten it from my local Jeep dealer.

Use this part number--> 52001175 (Driver side). It appears they have then in stock.

I just got hooks from Auto zone.

When my gas tank skid came with 1/4" backing plate that went down the frame channel (gas tank skid bolts into same holes as a hitch would).

I just bolted the hook thru frame and these backing plates on both sides of truck. the passenger side bangs tail pipe a little. But they hold up great.
I've yanked on them a lot and had no problems.

scrape said:
I just got hooks from Auto zone.

When my gas tank skid came with 1/4" backing plate that went down the frame channel (gas tank skid bolts into same holes as a hitch would).

I just bolted the hook thru frame and these backing plates on both sides of truck. the passenger side bangs tail pipe a little. But they hold up great.
I've yanked on them a lot and had no problems.

Thats not gonna cut it. There is a reason that bracket bolts sideways too. They WILL come off at some point so fix it before they kill someone.

krelja said:
Mine works good I got a ebay one shipped for @ 25 but you are gonna have to make something for that thing to bolt to because that rear sheetmetal sux my backing plate is about a 1/2 inch thick

thats what idid piece of 10" long by 1.625" by 1/2 peice of steel and i drilled and tapped it for that back bolt 1/2" grade 8 dont use the one they send ya go buy a grade 8 bolt that is american made

warwagon98xj said:
thats what idid piece of 10" long by 1.625" by 1/2 peice of steel and i drilled and tapped it for that back bolt 1/2" grade 8 dont use the one they send ya go buy a grade 8 bolt that is american made

Yeah I planned on replacing all the stuff they send with grade 8 stuff...is that good or is that supposed to be the weak link?

Back