• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Road manners

javik

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, well i know iv asked ALOT of questions lately, but i appriciate your gys input, so humor me again.

Ok, iv decided to run 31s cause i dont have to money to do everything and 33s opens up a whole other can of worms, but i want the best on road ride quality lift i can get.

Im thinking about RE 4.5 kit with short arms, Or TNTs long arm kit with the least amount of lift possible, or FTs kit with around 4.5.

I dont even know if the last 2 ideas are possible, but im assuming that the tnt and FT kit must ride alot better than a standard 4.5 (Drop bracks are not an option, i hate them)

Is it possible to run the tnt kit or the FT kit with only about 4.5 inches of lift? Has anybody tried it? Is it that bad of an idea? I know my current SA rustys kit sucks on the road compared to my other jeep that has an re longarm, but on jeep #3 i really want something inbetween.

any ideas on this?

If you are only running 31's, I'd say get the RE 3.5 inch kit with the full leaf packs. Save yourself some money, for other things.

Matt98XJ said:
If you are only running 31's, I'd say get the RE 3.5 inch kit with the full leaf packs. Save yourself some money, for other things.

X2.

I run this very setup. It rides beautifully and is quite capable offroad. The system covers it all, swaybar disocs, bumpstops, LCAs and very good instructions. You stil have to choose your shocks, but that choice impact ride quality as well. Choose wisely, you shouldn't need 4.5" for 31's.

You didn't mention what year you are lifting. If it s a'96 or newer you'll want the extra money from the long arms to do either a TC drop or (prefferably) a SYE. I have NO vibes or issues with this system on my '89.

Good hunting

its a 99, and the reason why im thinking 4.5 is because costwise its almost the same as the 3.5. Plus the person that had the jeep before me put on a lousy BB so i need new shackles, and i want the HD trackbar and ss front lines.

So 3.5 rides that much better than 4.5?

Matt98XJ said:

x3

You don't need a 4.5" lift to run 31s. I don't think the springs are any more or less comfortable at different heights, but you may save yourself some expensive driveline mods by staying with the RE 3.5 (this is the lift I have, with 31s and it is a good setup, especially for a daily driver that doubles as a weekend warrior). Also, if ride quality is your game, you can put the money you save into higher quality shocks--old man emu's.

clay

javik said:
its a 99, and the reason why im thinking 4.5 is because costwise its almost the same as the 3.5. Plus the person that had the jeep before me put on a lousy BB so i need new shackles, and i want the HD trackbar and ss front lines.

So 3.5 rides that much better than 4.5?

I can't speak to the 4.5 ride, I started with the 3.5 and am still there (haven't been bitten by "inchitis" , yet).

Cost wise I'm not following you... I got the RE6030 (RE site lists for $720) versus the RE6130 (RE site lists for $1006) looks like a $286 difference to me, before shocks. That could go towards getting a good SYE, which you'll need.

It may just be me, but if I'm spending the money to clear 31's I go with the best kit that fits. The RE6030 clears my 31's no problem, with the correct backspacing on 15x7 Soft 8's. Full spring packs are the only way to go IMHO.

SS lines....don't waste the time or money. Personal experience dictates that they are garbage. I had a tire rubbing the front left line for about three days and it actually wore thru the line (great fun sliding with the a$$ locked up an no front brakes). Get the front replacement lines form a '95+ wrangler and skip the "bling" of the stainless (opinions vary).

Happy shopping and good luck.

as far as price goes, i want a HD trac bar set up with my lift, I will have to look up that 95 wrangler brake suggestion? I also need to replace my rear shackles which factors into the price.

So if i take the 3.5 kit and add the $200 bucks for a track bar, and whatever for new shackles and brake lines it is about the same. Im really more concerned with ride than price as long as im running 31s. I dont want to trim my fenders. i know thats anathema around here, but i also dont want to go over 4.5". Ideally i would like a great ride right around 4", but i dont even know if thats possible.

javik said:
as far as price goes, i want a HD trac bar set up with my lift, I will have to look up that 95 wrangler brake suggestion? I also need to replace my rear shackles which factors into the price.

So if i take the 3.5 kit and add the $200 bucks for a track bar, and whatever for new shackles and brake lines it is about the same. Im really more concerned with ride than price as long as im running 31s. I dont want to trim my fenders. i know thats anathema around here, but i also dont want to go over 4.5". Ideally i would like a great ride right around 4", but i dont even know if thats possible.

So get the 3.5 inch kit. The RE 4.5" kit WILL put you over 4.5 inches. You will get a better ride out of the 3.5" kit as well, because your control arms won't be at such a higher angle.

SS lines....don't waste the time or money. Personal experience dictates that they are garbage. I had a tire rubbing the front left line for about three days and it actually wore thru the line (great fun sliding with the a$$ locked up an no front brakes). Get the front replacement lines form a '95+ wrangler and skip the "bling" of the stainless (opinions vary).

I work at a parts store....you will need to get brake lines from a 90-95 wrangler with OUT abs. The ones for 97 and up are only a 1/16" longer line.

non-stick said:
I can't speak to the 4.5 ride, I started with the 3.5 and am still there (haven't been bitten by "inchitis" , yet).

non-stick....do you have any pics? ran a search in pic section but could not find any. IF you do but aren't sure how to post, e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks.

I have the RE 4.5" with many upgrades and its a great lift, but you don't need it for 33s. You will get 5" from the RE 3.5" and 6" from this kit. I run 33s right now and may go up to 35s soon.

As for the ride this kit is at the max (for a DD) I'd want to run short arms. After putting 4k miles on it in 2 months it rides like stock now and I like it alot.

I was in the same spot and the 4.5" with upgrades from Jason on Jeepin.com (Jeepinoutfitters) hooked me up with a great deal and it was maybe in the end $100 more than the 3.5", but I had cash for 33s and gears/locker so you may not and 31s are just too small for the 4.5" (6").

RE 4.5" on 33x12.50s on 15x8 with 4.25 bs:

P1010123.jpg

do you have to trim the fenders to run 33's and the RE 4.5 lift? I want to run 33's when I get RE's 4.5 kit but I don't want to cut the Jeep or remove the flares. If I have to trim or remove the flares to run 33's I will stick with 32's. How much lift do you get out of the 4.5 lift after it settles?

One problem with going over 3 inches, as stated previously, is control arm angle. The steeper the angel, the rougher the ride. Going over 3 inches usually means long control arms or drop brackets.

31 inches of tire is at the ragged edge of what's practical for any XJ with stock gearing. 31s should be ok with 4.10s and maybe 3.73s, but you'll feel a loss of performance with gears in the 3.08 range- especially at higher altitudes

Semper Fi said:
do you have to trim the fenders to run 33's and the RE 4.5 lift? I want to run 33's when I get RE's 4.5 kit but I don't want to cut the Jeep or remove the flares. If I have to trim or remove the flares to run 33's I will stick with 32's. How much lift do you get out of the 4.5 lift after it settles?

I am honestly not sure, I trimmed my fenders before even lifting. I'd seriously think about doing it (if its legal where you are) because XJ fenderwells arn't made for stuffing a tire over 31". Plus I love the look and I don't have to worry about flares poping off and all that. Maybe look into Bushwackers if you go 33s?

You can run 32s without trimming since when it settles you'll be at around 5.5" up front and close to 6" if not more in the rear.

BTW I got the 4.5" kit, HD tracbar/mount, JKS discos, RE monotubes, Adj. UCAs shipped for under $1200. Remember you'll need an SYE and driveshaft.

javik said:
Ok, well i know iv asked ALOT of questions lately, but i appriciate your gys input, so humor me again.

Is it possible to run the tnt kit ... with only about 4.5 inches of lift? Has anybody tried it? Is it that bad of an idea?

Our Y-Link upgrade kit is recommended for 4.5" or more, so it would/will work great at that height.

Although I wouldn't reccomend it, I run our one shop rig with 3.5" of actual lift and a Y-Link kit. It is bump stopped appropriately and the fenders have under gone serious surgery to clear a set of P285s (33 X 11.50).

In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to stuff a set of 315's under it when the new HyBrid front axle goes in. ;)

RE 3.5 SF Trimmed with 33's.

bumper2.jpg

Daily Driver - Best ride I ever had in a 4x4

qpgsbd.jpg

qpgv0j.jpg

'99 XJ, 4-door Sport, RE 3.5" "Super-Flex" 6030, OME Nitro Chargers, Tom Woods SYE & Custom Shaft, Wild Country 31x10.50x15 EXTs on Allied Type 51 Daytonas (4.5" BS), Yakima Rack, 4.0L, Airaid Intake & JCR Rock Rails.

Back