• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 spd and 33's

I have that aswell and I hate it, its doable but 5th is VERY shitty, no acceleration at all and minor hills will force me to drop it into 4th even then it still kinda sucks. I can't wait to get my gears.

I ran 3.07s with 33's for a while....5th gear is worthless unless your doin over 90 MPH. Forget about using 4HI off-road for the most part. If you do any slow, technical trails, expect your clutch to be toast pretty quickly as youll be slipping it ALOT trying to keep it slow enough without stalling.

I got 3.07s and 33s. Been on some long hauls with the jeep. Flat ground is good. But as soon as theres a hill, your gonna be downshifting that beast. Oh and top speed is maybe 80. Cant wait to get my gears.

Jeffro600 said:
I ran 3.07s with 33's for a while....5th gear is worthless unless your doin over 90 MPH. Forget about using 4HI off-road for the most part. If you do any slow, technical trails, expect your clutch to be toast pretty quickly as youll be slipping it ALOT trying to keep it slow enough without stalling.

X2

Yeah, it sucks.

Kejtar said:
I hated the 5 speed and 235's!
I agree! I'd like to find out who at Jeep decided that 3.07s were good gears for a manual tranny XJ and hang him up by his 'nads!!!

My weekend hunting, camping, skiing, up-in-the-mountains Jeep is my wife's daily driver, so it will never have tires larger than the 235s that are on it right now. Nonetheless, when I had LSDs installed in the differentials I also swapped in 3.55 gears. With the 235s the 3.55 gears are PERFECT!!! The darned thing should have come this way from the factory!

Personally, I think anyone who plans to drive around in a manual tranny XJ with stock gears and tires larger than 30" is completely out of their mind!

Another vote for regearing.

The *ONLY* clutch I've smoked in 25 years was with 3.07 gears and 31x10.50s in my XJ.

You might get it to move with 3.07s and 33s...... but expect to burn the clutch in pretty short order.

3.55's and a 5 speed with 33's here

seems to be the same as 235/75r-15's and 3.07's...

I hate it - though it would be great if i were into deep mud...

pleanty of wheel spin on tap....

look at me try to crawl -
img_4550.jpg

XJ_ranger said:
3.55's and a 5 speed with 33's here

seems to be the same as 235/75r-15's and 3.07's...

I hate it - though it would be great if i were into deep mud...

pleanty of wheel spin on tap....

look at me try to crawl -
img_4550.jpg
To touch on that a little more.... There is NO finesse driving with that sort of gearing with tires that big....its either smoke your clutch by slipping it trying to keep from stalling, or just ram it(which usually results in breakin parts or not making it over the obsticle at all)!

to everyone that says that the 3.07s with 235 is rediculous. i dont see the extremem problem. before you all get bent out of shape. i can agree with you that they are a bit high. as in pulling any kind of trailer and hauiln ass on an interstate through the mountains. but letslook on the bright side, i have no problem outrunning daddys dodge 1500 with 5.2.. its an auto tho. but still.

31" and 3.07 pretty muched sucked. Like mentioned above, 5th gear is non-existent. I'm at 4.88 and 31 and love it, but will be going to 33" in the next couple of months. I'm sure with 4.88, I could move up to 35" with not much problem. BTW, 2 years of just 31" and 3.07 took a toll on my clutch.

SourApple said:
to everyone that says that the 3.07s with 235 is rediculous. i dont see the extremem problem. before you all get bent out of shape. i can agree with you that they are a bit high. as in pulling any kind of trailer and hauiln ass on an interstate through the mountains. but letslook on the bright side, i have no problem outrunning daddys dodge 1500 with 5.2.. its an auto tho. but still.
Not ridiculous but bad enough to mean that 33 and 3.07 should be out of the question due to the stress on clutch and probably extremely bad mpg.

no no dont get me wrong. out of the question i agree. so not the cost of ring and pinions, how much do you think it would be around (in labor) to regear. thanks

SourApple said:
how much do you think it would be around (in labor) to regear. thanks
Depends... if you make good friends with someone who can setup the gears it can be as low as the cost of pizza and beer. Shop prices seem to vary from $120 (small garage type) to $300 an axle.

Back