• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where do you buy PB Blaster?

I used to buy it at Universal Truck (a heavy truck place locally,) but my local started carrying it, and cheaper than anyone else anyhow. I don't buy it at Universal Truck anymore - but I still go there because I can find specialty stuff that I can't dig up anywhere else.

Find a distributor like that somewhere near you - if they're withing 50 miles, it's usually worth making the trip 3-4 times a year. Mine is in town - I go every couple of months to keep up...

I avoid "chain" stores like the plague - I used to work at one, and I was appalled at the other people they hired then (and I couldn't figure out why they sat me on the damn register, when I was a pretty damn decent parts guy, and a very good - but uncertified - mechanic. Go figure... I actually had AN EMPLOYEE as me if we stocked "elbow grease!" And she wasn't joking...)

5-90

Be careful with the PB Blaster. It has more than just oil in it. It "Appears" to me there is some sort of solvents as well.

They have some sort of garbage on the can about spraying it into styrofoam cup and watch how long it takes for the cup to dissolve, trying to convince you how well it penetrates. Huh? how does dissolving a stryofoam cup effect penetrating rust and small openings in metal?

I'm thinking to myself, if this stuff is dissolving stryofoam cups, whats its going to do to my paint? It does seem to make the undercoating all goeey. I've take precautions to keep it off the paint and usually wash it real well if it gets oversprayed onto the paint, so I don't know if it will mess up the paint for sure, but I'm not going to risk it.

Heating the nut with a propane torch seems to be far more effective than PB Blaster. Although theres plenty of spots you can't get a torch to the nut, so PB Blaster may be your only alternative in some cases. Propane Plumbing torches are about $13 at your local hardware store.

I've treated bolts with a shot of PB Blaster everday for a week and they still snapped off. Last night, I couldn't loosen the Parking Brake Adjust Nut, it was siezed, and I had been treating it everyday for a week with PB Blaster. The adjusting bolt on this thing is special and it looked I'd have to replace the whole thing if I snapped it. So, after a reasonable attempt to break it free, to no avail, I removed the whole Parking Brake Tensioner, put a Propane torch to the nut got it glowing red around the edges, and the nut backed out like butter.

It was a nylon sleeve lock nut though, so the nylon insert burned out. But a nylon insert lock nut at the harware store is a lot cheaper than a whole Parking Brake from the dealer or a Junkyard.

I finished brakes last night, I'm about to get started drilling out all the other bolts I've broken. 3 out 4 rear shock bolts (treated with PB Blaster) and 2 out of 4 bump stop bolts (not treated with anything). I plan on changing swaybar bushings, I'm worried those bolts will snap as well. I've yet to repair the snapped exhaust studs, I got with the vehicle when I bought it a couple of weeks ago.

You really ought to try that kroil. That stuff is amazing. Don't put it into a regular pump can though, it dissolves the rubber o rings if you leave it in there.

Back