• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Retainer plates

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
should d44 retainer plates for the axle shafts be the same on a TJ d44 as an XJ d44 from say 89? just quintuplet checking before i go get robbed at the dealership tomorrow

thanks all

Doesn't the tj d44 come with disk brakes? If so, they're different. They won't work unless your doing a disk conversion on your xj d44, and then you'll need to redrill the plate.

Kyung

corbinafly said:
Doesn't the tj d44 come with disk brakes? If so, they're different. They won't work unless your doing a disk conversion on your xj d44, and then you'll need to redrill the plate.

Kyung

correction. TJ's did not come with rear disc until 03. i'm not sure if the drum backing plates are the same, but i just did a discbrake conversion on my 97 D44, and just bought the parts for an 03-06 TJ rubicon with rear disc. everything bolted up very nicely. no drilling or modifying required. i don't think there is any actuall bolt up difference between the 89 D44 or the newer ones. the install went so easy, and the difference is so nice i'm going to do it on both my other jeeps.

just went to the dealer (helps if you have connections), told them i needed everything for an 05 rubicon w/rear disc brakes including the lines. total was around $500.

scorpio_vette said:
correction. TJ's did not come with rear disc until 03. i'm not sure if the drum backing plates are the same, but i just did a discbrake conversion on my 97 D44, and just bought the parts for an 03-06 TJ rubicon with rear disc. everything bolted up very nicely. no drilling or modifying required. i don't think there is any actuall bolt up difference between the 89 D44 or the newer ones. the install went so easy, and the difference is so nice i'm going to do it on both my other jeeps.

just went to the dealer (helps if you have connections), told them i needed everything for an 05 rubicon w/rear disc brakes including the lines. total was around $500.
Thanks for setting me straight about the disks on the tjs. However, the hole patterns on the axle ends are different on the late 80s d44 and the tj d44.

Kyung

corbinafly said:
Thanks for setting me straight about the disks on the tjs. However, the hole patterns on the axle ends are different on the late 80s d44 and the tj d44.

Kyung

you talking about the hole pattern for the 4 bolts holding on the retainer/backing plate??? how much different can it be??? just wondering, i haven't compared them between such a large time gap.

ok. i opened both links side by side. did you notice that all the specs listed are the same for both.

even all the "add-on" pieces are identical part numbers.
if you look at the second link you posted, it shoes the axle from the diff side, and you can see 3 of the 4 bolts that sit at the end of the axle tube holding on the retainer/backing plate. i really don't think they're different.

i could be wrong, but that site actually just makes it seems even more alike.

scorpio_vette said:
ok. i opened both links side by side. did you notice that all the specs listed are the same for both.

even all the "add-on" pieces are identical part numbers.
if you look at the second link you posted, it shoes the axle from the diff side, and you can see 3 of the 4 bolts that sit at the end of the axle tube holding on the retainer/backing plate. i really don't think they're different.

i could be wrong, but that site actually just makes it seems even more alike.
All the "add on" pieces are the same. But they use different caliper brackets for the different axle ends.
I don't think that the picture for the 97+ is correct. And there are many out there that have done a disk brake conversion on the older d44 and they have bought the retainer plates from the dealer for the rubicon and redrilled to align the holes.

Kyung

well i knew they re-drilled the hole for the D35 and chry8.25, but wasn't aware that the D44's were different over that timespan. and here i thought i would have an easy conversion on all 3 of my jeeps. :(

oh well, should still be easy enough.

Back