• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i need some advice and pictures

blue_flip

NAXJA Forum User
A friend and i are going to build a winch bumper and some rock rails, for my XJ and we really have no idea where to start. so i need some pictures of some trick looking bumpers that you have built. please have close ups so we can really see how you did it.

The kind of bumper i want needs the fenders cut.

should i cut them or are the style that iam talking about a totally diff thing that i can buy?

help is most appreciated.

Last edited:
blue_flip said:
A friend and i are going to build a winch bumper and some rock rails, for my XJ and we really have no idea where to start. so i need some pictures of some trick looking bumpers that you have built. please have close ups so we can really see how you did it.

The kind of bumper i want needs the fenders cut.

should i cut them or are the style that iam talking about a totally diff thing that i can buy?

help is most appreciated.

Try XJDB.COM Go to their XJ gallery. It has tons of pics of custom xjs. Another thing is google it. Lots of info there too. I have gotten lots of ideas from looking at what companies are selling. Just look at the pictures of their products and build what you want from that. BTW what do you mean by cutting the fenders? Are you talking about cutting older style fenders to look like the newer fenders? Anyway hope this helps.

GoliathJeeper said:
Try XJDB.COM Go to their XJ gallery. It has tons of pics of custom xjs. Another thing is google it. Lots of info there too. I have gotten lots of ideas from looking at what companies are selling. Just look at the pictures of their products and build what you want from that. BTW what do you mean by cutting the fenders? Are you talking about cutting older style fenders to look like the newer fenders? Anyway hope this helps.

well i there is a plastic piece on the stock bumpers that "wraps" around the side of the car and i want to cut at that line to be able to put the new style of bumper on.

Thats how I am building my new bumper. Just remove the end caps, which you have to do anyway to take off the bumper, and build your front bumper to wrap around that portion of the fender. Or just hack it off and let your bumper come to that edge of where you cut it.

dont know if you knew this already, but on 97+ xjs, after you take the bumper endcap off, the fenders follow the same line as the header panel. on 96 and earlier cherokees, the fender continues down to line up with the bottom of the bumper. this extra bit of fender is what everyone cuts off flush with the top of the bumper or bottom of header panel to wrap their bumpers around. hope that helps. As far as building your bumper, the actual exterior design of it should be too hard, but where it really matters is the mounting system. take a close look at the rigid front bumpers, great mounting system there. there is a thread that was just started about it. Lots of pictures, but they are a little dark. take a look at it and see what you can figure out. or search Rigidco or rigid on here

Homebrewed front bumper = http://hometown.aol.com/xjtim/index1.html
Bumper/Tow hook mounting bracket = http://www.nsjames.net/comanche/Bumper/bumpermount.pdf

standard.jpg

Last edited:
oh man you guys are great!!!!!
this helps out so much!!!

so just one more question is there a thread explainig how to cut the little peice under the bumper end cap, off the fender so that i can get the bumper to take its place?

I have tried to searchig it and all i get is the thread about the best XJ bumper pics.

Back