• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Deflation - Ill Effects?

GrayT

NAXJA Forum User
There is a local trail a few of my friends call "The Gulley" due to it's shape. Basically it's a bunch of hills and lumps here and there. I've attempted this entire area at 32psi many times and have had no trouble with spinning tires.

I attempted it a few days ago after deflating my tires down to 15psi, and every hill I tried to crawl up my tires only spun as soon as I gradually climbed. I couldn't even make it up these hills with a running start.

The conditions were still the same, no snow, no ice, no water, no loose gravel.

It just kind of boggled my mind as to why that would happen.

Has this happened to anyone else? Why would this occur, anyways?

yeah, she was my daily driver for a while too, and i was too lazy to air up lol......real fun on the road...
icon6.gif

I think the tread may be cupping, eg the center of the tread moves inward toward the wheel. Then you only have the outer edge of the tread making contact with the ground. Did you leave tire marks with solid lines on the outer edges, but nothing really in the center? If I'm not mistaken, bias ply tires don't suffer from this, or as much.

bobb said:
I think the tread may be cupping, eg the center of the tread moves inward toward the wheel. Then you only have the outer edge of the tread making contact with the ground. Did you leave tire marks with solid lines on the outer edges, but nothing really in the center? If I'm not mistaken, bias ply tires don't suffer from this, or as much.

That's definitely a possiblity, I can/will check next time I deflate them. I just found it odd how I could go up things at 32psi, but couldn't even move at 15psi.

GrayT said:
There is a local trail a few of my friends call "The Gulley" due to it's shape. Basically it's a bunch of hills and lumps here and there. I've attempted this entire area at 32psi many times and have had no trouble with spinning tires.

I attempted it a few days ago after deflating my tires down to 15psi, and every hill I tried to crawl up my tires only spun as soon as I gradually climbed. I couldn't even make it up these hills with a running start.

The conditions were still the same, no snow, no ice, no water, no loose gravel.

It just kind of boggled my mind as to why that would happen.

Has this happened to anyone else? Why would this occur, anyways?

My experiance has always been better traction at lower PSI than higher PSI. It allows the tire to mold and conform to the ground better thus more tread on the ground....

Also with very low tire pressure say under 8 PSI the side walls start to bulge and that gives you the same effect as a wider tire.

I have not run a ton of tire combos but this has been true with my 31x13.50 Mickey T's on a 12 inch wide rim that I ran mostly on sand at 3PSI.

Now, I have have 31x10.50 on 7 inch rim that I run at 10-12 PSI in Mud and other dirt terrain...

In the summer with the Mickey T's I would notice that I was not climbing as well as I did when I started out that day... I would check the tire pressure and find that the heat of the day would make the pressure climb back up to 7-10 PSI.

Is it possible that you used differant tire gauges on the two differant days and had a false reading on one of the days ????

Same tire gauge, but the temperature was definitely different. The first time at 32psi was at about 30degrees. The second time at 15psi was about 60degrees.

Even at say... 25psi (due to rises in pressure because of heat) I should still get better traction as opposed to 32psi.

I have TJ Raven wheels, are those 15x7 or 15x8? You've run 10psi on a 15x7? I have always assumed that the tire would break off the bead at that low of pressure.

GrayT said:
Same tire gauge, but the temperature was definitely different. The first time at 32psi was at about 30degrees. The second time at 15psi was about 60degrees.

Even at say... 25psi (due to rises in pressure because of heat) I should still get better traction as opposed to 32psi.

I have TJ Raven wheels, are those 15x7 or 15x8? You've run 10psi on a 15x7? I have always assumed that the tire would break off the bead at that low of pressure.

With all other factors being the same ... my understanding is the lower pressure should give you better traction. Especially with soft terrain like sand, mud and snow.

As for the 10 PSI on a 15x 7 rim being low enough to unseat the bead. Yes... It is a risk that I run... I am careful to not side load the tire with things like doughnuts.... Loosing a bead is always a possibility.

In my experienc you have to go down to at least 10psi to notice a real diffrence. I ussualy do 8. See how much more of the tire is on the ground at 8 than at 15.

Camel_Joe said:
In my experienc you have to go down to at least 10psi to notice a real diffrence. I ussualy do 8. See how much more of the tire is on the ground at 8 than at 15.

I'm really worried about breaking a bead at that amount, though. I still have the stock spare...

i run my trxus at 10 psi and notice bettter traction at low pressures dry/mud..

I have to agree with runnning 10 psi in the Truxus on rough terrian. And that is a Radial tire. I even drop down to 8 psi in the snow, may even try for 6psi next weekend. And I have yet to pop a bead, of course with that being said I also have a CO2 tank so I don't have to worry about popping my bead.

And in my experience the traction increases 3 fold.

Notice the deflection in the rear tire and that is at 10 psi, those are 265-75R16 on 16X7 stock wheels.

EvansCreek10-08-05031.jpg

try it at 10-12

I routinely air down my cheap 32" all terrains, usually down to about 12 psi. Havent yet popped a bead or tore up a sidewall (knock on wood). The traction increase is great. Also I recently bought one of those currie EZ defltors, best dang $30 i have spent on the jeep.

boomhauer said:
if you stated it, i missed it but just out of curiousity, what tires are you running?

In my sig, they're Mickey Thompson Dick Cepek FC-II just to clarify.

I think I'm going to just man up and try it at 10psi, if I pop a bead, oh well. I'll be 2 miles from my house...

What things should I be watching out for? Having half the tire on a ledge and such?

GrayT said:
What things should I be watching out for? Having half the tire on a ledge and such?

As far as things to look for. Anything that will side load the tire. With practice you will learn what is too much. You should not have any troubles in the 10-15 PSI range.

Make sure that you have a low pressure gauge... That you can trust.... When you have a a 0 - 120 PSI or 0-60 PSI gauge it is really hard to tell if you are at 8 PSI or 10 PSI. Get a good 0-20 PSI or 0-15 PSI gauge. If you find one that has 1/2 lb. tick marks that is even better.

Jeff

Back