• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats all involved in the swap 8.25

i've been wheeling a 27spline 8.25 with yukon shafts for months on 35's, and it's been fine, i don't know how many people who said they are junk, have even had one,or just going by what other's have said, as for the swap, if they are both auto's, it will bolt right up, mine did.

Should just be a bolt up item...the yolks if im not mistaken are the same length on the D35 and the 8.25 so you shouldnt have to modify your driveshaft.

And for what its worth....the 27 spline 8.25 is better than the D35 despite what some will tell you. Larger and stronger axles tubes and slightly thicker shafts do give you a little bit more strength.

Mambeu said:
What about putting an 8.25 out of an auto into an XJ with a manual? Can I use the same driveshaft?

Probably not...if i remember correctly, the AW4 is an inch or an inch and a half longer than the AX15. Youll most likely need to modify the shaft to make it work properly

Jeffro600 said:
Probably not...if i remember correctly, the AW4 is an inch or an inch and a half longer than the AX15. Youll most likely need to modify the shaft to make it work properly
If he used the manual driveshaft wouldn't it work? If the pinions are at the same location then it shouldn't matter as to auto/manual. WHat will matter are the different gear ratios found in stock auo and manual axles. If you're going that route grab both, or pull the front driveshaft until you can get it regeared to match.

You will have to shorten your driveshaft. The yoke on the 8.25 is about 1" longer than the d35, .. you can fit it in, but its not going to fit well. Most driveline shops get about $65 to shorten and balance a shaft.
-c

It will bolt right in provided both XJs are autos. You'll have to bring over the u-bolts and plates from each vehicle. Plan on getting new u-bolts, it's not a good idea to reuse them. Nice swap with good upside if down the line you upgrade the 8.25 with 29 spline axle shafts.

cal said:
You will have to shorten your driveshaft. The yoke on the 8.25 is about 1" longer than the d35, .. you can fit it in, but its not going to fit well. Most driveline shops get about $65 to shorten and balance a shaft.
-c
I'll have a 2" budget boost on by the time I get the 8.25. Will I still need the driveshaft shortened?

Mambeu said:
I'll have a 2" budget boost on by the time I get the 8.25. Will I still need the driveshaft shortened?

most likely, thats not a lot of lift over a long driveshaft. Thats why all the guys with 8.25" rear ends and auto trannys swap in front shafts when they do the SYE. Its cheap, and it fits perfect. The D35 guys cant do that because the yoke is shorter, so it wont fit well. It shouldnt be too expensive. Or, just reuse your old shaft, it'll pull the slip yoke out some, but i'd run it for a while and save up for an SYE and new DS. it'd be pointless to lengthen your stock shaft, because no matter what you say now, you will lift higher, and then you'll have to have an SYE. good luck

midnightrunxj said:
OK so im gonna attempt to swap a 8.25 out of a 93 2wd cherokee into my 89 d35 4x4. I the complete donor jeep. Im wondering about gears? and im wondering about driveshafts.?

OK well if its free thats diffrent..IN my first post I had no nowledge of this..

I myself had one and ran 35's on stock 3:55 gears for about 6 months ..I took it to Maob and did most of the runs in the 4+ area and never broke..
I did carry a spare shaft though..and Im not sure about now but at that time they didint make alloys for it..
conderning the gears .. they migh be diffrent so yoiu might have to re gear it or the D30 to match....

As far as the DS if ya have access to the old DS grab it..

Put ont the axle and see what fits..

if you hhave to have the DS lenghtened then I would consider going to an SYE instead and runing a front DS shaft from a XJ..:)

the d35 drive shaft will work as is.

Mambeu said:

Going from stock with a d35 to 5" with a 8.25, I had to have about 1" cut off of my driveshaft.

mack said:
the d35 drive shaft will work as is.

I have replaced three dana 35's with 8.25's now, and three out of three times, it would not. Every time it was just about one inch too long.

Hey Midnightrun, how about you let me have that 8.25? I have a lift so my driveshaft will fit just fine :) I'll even come by and pick it up!

i guess i was lucky, but i'm at 6" with a SYE, maybe that's way.
cal said:
I have replaced three dana 35's with 8.25's now, and three out of three times, it would not. Every time it was just about one inch too long.

Back