• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shimmy/vibe 45+mph...

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Friday I lent out my XJ and it was used to tow a truck about 120 miles...Anyways I get it back today and everything's normal except for the fact that right at about 45 MPH there's a noticeable shimmy/vibration coming from somewhere BUT it's not there when you let off the gas, it's only there when your on the throttle in gear.

Almost feels like bad gas making the motor run poorly but that's not the case because it's only from speeds 45 and above in gear and on the throttle.

What could it be, transfer-case going, bad u-joint, rear end going?

90XJ, 4.0, AX-15, NP231, 193K

Well I had a pretty bad vibration a few months ago that started around 35 mph and stayed there. Ended up being the rear u-joint on the rear driveshaft was junk. Replaced that and no more vibration, so I'd say check those, they're fairly easy and cheap to replace as well. Oh and it's been said many times before about vibrations, "If you feel it in the seat, it's the rear end, if you feel it in the wheel, it's the front end".

I was thinking that's what it is as well. Did you meant the u-joint on the axle side of the shaft or on the t case side of the shaft?

Back