• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric fan, how big is too big??

fordtech

NAXJA Forum User
Search didnt help....How big (physical size) is too big for an electric fan in an 98 xj??

I got a electric fan from my dads liberty, shroud too. This thing is roughly a 19" fan, and approx a 21x21.5" shroud.

First, is it even possible to go that big??

I hope to make it all work without modifying the stock pieces, just so I can go back if need be. I'll get under the hood when it warms up to see what I can do. I figure I can make up a shroud out of tin if need be.

Just do'in puliminary research...Thanks for any advise...

search for gojeep he has a website with a ton of tec on it one of the write ups is about installing electric fans. the major concern is the thickness of it as it will make contact with the ideler pully.

After doing a dual electric fan upgrade to my 1989 XJ, I have to disagree about size not being an issue. Basically, an XJ radiator is only about 12" to 14" tall. Any fan too much over that size will stick either up or down too far.

Sticking up too far will contact the hood when closed. Sticking down too far puts it in a vulnerable position and I think it also places a lot of the fan blades in a less than ideal spot. Why waste any part of the fan? Put it all to the radiator surface.

Keeping with a 12" or 14" fan covers the radiator well and keeps all of the fan blade circumference ON THE RADIATOR where it should be. A thin fan is needed so that it will clear the old fan clutch pulley (which can be removed with some work). High CFM fans should also be used, not eBay cheapos.

Go-Jeep did it with a 16" fan, but I have yet to totally figure out just how its done even though there are good pics. I think I messed up on the shroud part

Last edited:
Im my travels , I have found that two(2) 10" electrics fit very nicely between the grille and the condensor/radiator. I have them both wired to a relay that has a built in temp senor that is adjustable. The relay even has a second output if you choose to run a fan from the ac switch, like the normal setup.I have choosen to set them to both run at desired temp. This allowed me to completely remove stock fan on pulley and stock electric unit, freeing up a lot of room between them. I have also noticed improved throttle response and fuel mileage. The local parts stores carry everything I used, but autozone had the better price. I also have done this on a few other trucks.

I have to agree with tally xj
just ordered one of these:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-I...cmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33600QQitemZ8041725818 yesterday for my electric fan conversion.It's the right thickness so it won't hit the pulley.I measured the radiator before I ordered and my rad is only like just under 12 inches so using anything bigger than that doesn't make sense.

We'll see how good it works....they claim it puts out 2200cfm at 15amps,three year warranty.

I have read threads, and installs from other sources. It was not really mentioned what physical size fits or not. I know the norm is 14-16". The actual radiator measurements help.

The depth wasnt in question, though I did forget to mention that it wasnt, so thanks for that advise.

Just looking at it, I definitally think it wont fit due to diameter. I'll have to get under the hood this spring and see what I can fit.... Definitally tougher than my taurus fan install on my yj....

jeepdeepfreak said:
I have to agree with tally xj
just ordered one of these:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-I...cmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33600QQitemZ8041725818 yesterday for my electric fan conversion.It's the right thickness so it won't hit the pulley.I measured the radiator before I ordered and my rad is only like just under 12 inches so using anything bigger than that doesn't make sense.

We'll see how good it works....they claim it puts out 2200cfm at 15amps,three year warranty.

I'm not convinced that the 12" will pull enough air, but I just bought the 14" fan from the same guy (thanks for the link!).

Here is a pic I'm sure most of you have seen a time or two,

P1030597.jpg

If this 14" won't fit I'll chop the pully off and re-route the belt like shown on hte go.jeep site. I've been running without a primary fan for the entire winter to see if the mod was worth doing in the long run, and I'm a believer! A little more that 1mpg and better performance from the stoplight.

but the 14 is 3.5" thick....I got the same measurement as you and it seems like 3.5 would hit the pulley,so to be on the safe side I got the 12.

hmmm,well if the 12 don't do it I'll order a 14 and use the 12 to replace the stock electric fan.

live and learn....

You remove that pulley and bearing completely so clearance is much more than that if you look at my site linked above. You cant go over 16" if fitting it into the stock shroud and many LHD's even have trouble running one that big. You must install it in a shroud that covers all the radiator core left next to the stock fan. You wont be able to sit at idle otherwise.

I took a look and it definitely wont fit!! (but you guys knew that!) I guess I was in denial....

I have a 14" hayden e-fan laying around.... that is rated around 1200 cfm. I can make it work well with the stock shroud. I also would add a resistor to the fan switch circuit (or maybe a lower temp switch??) to kick the fans on closer to 200 degrees.

I need around 2000 cfm for the primary, or 2000 cfm total? I have found conflicting info.....

i use 2 stock fans and a good thermostat switch from discount not the adjustable junk it comes with a relay comes on at 185 turns off at 160 supports 2 fans with there own power wires its a tight fit first time i tried it i had lock washers on the bolts used to replace the old stock fan studs and it made contact with fan removed lock washers and has not been a problem still very close but no contact

The largest diameter electric fan that will fit, width-wise, is a 12".
Zirgo makes the best (cfm-wise) 12" fan (I did a ton of looking).
I used two 12" Zirgos with a custom aluminum shroud that covered the whole radiator on my '99.
Never could get it to cool enough.
Tried everything; water wetter, different thermostats, etc.
Finally gave up and reinstalled the stock elect/mech setup.

kid4lyf said:
The largest diameter electric fan that will fit, width-wise, is a 12".
Zirgo makes the best (cfm-wise) 12" fan (I did a ton of looking).
I used two 12" Zirgos with a custom aluminum shroud that covered the whole radiator on my '99.
Never could get it to cool enough.
Tried everything; water wetter, different thermostats, etc.
Finally gave up and reinstalled the stock elect/mech setup.

Well, It looks like the Zirgo isn't the best then. I run dual 12" slim line Flex-a-lites and they pump 2500 CFM and come in a shroud that needs minor trimming at the bottom to fit like stock.It also comes with a adjustable thermistat and A/C wire as well as a manual override switch that you can hook up. It keeps my junk at temp in Florida wheelin with the A/C on in the summer. Most time if you have problems with cooling its a combination. Its a whole system that can be modded to run better or left stock in great conditon to run well. Good Luck

XJING said:
Well, It looks like the Zirgo isn't the best then. I run dual 12" slim line Flex-a-lites and they pump 2500 CFM and come in a shroud that needs minor trimming at the bottom to fit like stock.It also comes with a adjustable thermistat and A/C wire as well as a manual override switch that you can hook up. It keeps my junk at temp in Florida wheelin with the A/C on in the summer. Most time if you have problems with cooling its a combination. Its a whole system that can be modded to run better or left stock in great conditon to run well. Good Luck
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com:16080/Autoloc/detail.lasso?itemid=ZF12
1600 cfm per fan.
That's 3200 cfm/pair for the arithmatically impaired.

It really comes down to the individual XJ.
Do a search. Most had results like mine; they tried, unsuccessfully, to get electric fans to work in an XJ.
Hell, I even switched to an aluminum radiator to no avail.

Anyone ever look in to this setup?

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&part=DER%2D16928&N=115+4294924500+4294838842&autoview=sku

Brand:DeraleProduct Line:Derale Rad Dual Electric FansHeight (in):13.820Width (in):28.500Thickness (in):3.190Flow Direction:pullerFan Quantity:DualMaximum Fan CFM:4000Number of Blades:10 blades per fanMaximum Fan RPM:1670Blade Material:plasticBlade Color:BlackShroud Color:BlackShroud Material:plasticAmp Draw:50.0Quantity:Sold individually.Fan Series:Electrical

XJING said:

Just a FYI... 1250CFM each is at 0" of WG. I know a rad cant have too much WG but I would guess about .5-1". Meaning that the fan may only see 1000-say 1100CFM.

Just a thought.

kid4lyf said:
There's your problem.
Too bad. Looked good.

Is that really a prob. cant the idler for the fan be removed and then there would be pleanty of room? The width and length seem great?

ROBERTK said:
Is that really a prob. cant the idler for the fan be removed and then there would be pleanty of room? The width and length seem great?
I don't think so.
That idler is what gives the belt "wrap" needed for the alternator if I'm not mistaken.

Back