• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stick shift availability question

Matthew Currie

NAXJA Member #760
So anyway, I've been looking for a replacement for my rusty rotsome 95, and I'd really like another stick shift. I've seen a scant few later model sticks, but it occurs to me to wonder if they ever actually completely discontinued them, or are they just very rare? I seem to recall having seen a 98 last year, and either a 99 or 00 more recently (alas, a salvage-titled 2-door with roof rust, and not necessarily reliably labeled), but I figured I'd check in with the experts here. I'm willing to be pretty patient, but there's no point in holding out for a late model one if there is no such animal.

JEEPZZ said:
It was available all the way 'till the end in '01.

Thanks. Now all I need to do is find one!

A nice black or other dark color 4-door with a receiver hitch, tow hooks, gauges and no ABS would be nice.

edit...oh, hey, wait a minute, that's mine! I'd better add "no rust" to that.

JEEPZZ said:
It was available all the way 'till the end in '01.

"Available" is a misnomer.

I ordered my 2000 in November of '99. My dealer confirmed the scuttlebutt (heard here!) of there being an "indefinite hold" on 5-speed XJ's.

I ended up getting an automatic... but they DID eventually make some 5-speeds, with the NV3500 tranny. Eagle's got one!

The problem, IMHO, lies with dealers. 5-speeds are generally slow sellers, so dealers don't stock many. So more folks buy automatics, even those who might have bought a stick if they could get one! It's a vicious circle that's helping to make the breed extinct.

I'm just glad that the ricer boys seem to prefer sticks... it should lead to a comeback, to some degree... and you can see it in some market segments.

I sat in a 5-speed Libby at the car show a couple of years ago... but I never found one on a dealer's lot to test-drive.

Den

Well us used-car-buying guys really would like it if you new car buyers would have the patience to order the stick you want.

DenLip said:
"Available" is a misnomer.
Try finding a used 2001 Anniversary Edition with a 5 speed. I know someone that looked for about 6 months until he found one. He even had to travel a few states over to get it.

With traffic congestion continually on the rise there is no market for manual transmissions anymore. The only people that want them are mavericks like us. I sense that I am driving the last stick shift that I will aver own. Good luck in your search.

There is a nice 2001 5 speed on Ebay today. It has lots of power options but appears to be an SE since it has the basic dash.

yardape said:
With traffic congestion continually on the rise there is no market for manual transmissions anymore. The only people that want them are mavericks like us. I sense that I am driving the last stick shift that I will aver own. Good luck in your search.

Speak for yourself. We mavericks have to make concessions! I work 7a-3:30p... specifically so I can avoid the traffic nightmare that begins about half an hour after I whiz by....

I settled for an automatic because... uh... it was going into winter time, and I figured an automatic Jeep NOW was better than maybe a stick in the springtime!! :)

Besides... my other car's a stick...

Den

Matthew Currie said:
Remains to be seen. If I do let it go, I'll post back here. The tranny is a little noisy after ~258K miles though.
ouch 258k iii dont know about that it'd probly need to be rebuilt soon anyways.
back to the constant (but rather lazy) searching

I was looking thru autotrader.com and came across some numbers for years, roughly 11% of the XJ's that were built year after year had 5 speeds. Lookup an XJ and then follow one of the tabs, there are some interesting numbers as to percentage of options by year...lookup a cherokee then pick one then pick the reviews tab and then the preowned profile.

gjxj said:
Well us used-car-buying guys really would like it if you new car buyers would have the patience to order the stick you want.
Yeah, and then take care of it! Dang! I just went to the junkyard today and there was a nice shiny 99 Classic with a stick, that juicy dark red color. Rolled and twisted like a pretzel, totally totalled! :cry:

gjxj said:
I did.

It was a contest of wills. I don't remember when I ordered it, probably around December of 1999. The factory took the order, then wouldn't commit to a build date. But they also wouldn't cancel the order. I think they were hoping I would get tired of waiting and cancel, but I didn't NEED the new XJ so I decided to wait and see what happened. They finally did a single, small run of 2000 XJ Sports with 5-speed just before they shut the assembly line down to change over to the 2001 models. They actually made more 5-speeds in the partial 2001 model year than in all of 2000.

Matthew, don't hold out for a 2000. My dealer is 99% certain that I have the only one in Connecticut, and there's reason to believe it may be the only one in New England. And it isn't for sale.

Eagle said:
I did.

It was a contest of wills. I don't remember when I ordered it, probably around December of 1999. The factory took the order, then wouldn't commit to a build date. But they also wouldn't cancel the order. I think they were hoping I would get tired of waiting and cancel, but I didn't NEED the new XJ so I decided to wait and see what happened. They finally did a single, small run of 2000 XJ Sports with 5-speed just before they shut the assembly line down to change over to the 2001 models. They actually made more 5-speeds in the partial 2001 model year than in all of 2000.

Matthew, don't hold out for a 2000. My dealer is 99% certain that I have the only one in Connecticut, and there's reason to believe it may be the only one in New England. And it isn't for sale.

Actually, there may be one other 2000 in New England. I spotted what was identified as a 2000 at a lot recently. Unfortunately it was a base model 2-door, salvage title, poorly repaired, and already showing serious roof rustout. I'm guessing perhaps a government or fleet vehicle from somewhere. The place was closed so I didn't bother to ask for details.

I'm still waiting patiently. The current Jeep is still going, so I can take my time, I hope. If not, there are enough pretty decent late model slushboxes that I can pretty much shop for the color.

Funny, I'm looking around junkyards here in Southern MARYLAND, and can't find any 2.5L Automatic Cherokees. There all 6 cylinders, more often Manuals than Automatics.

I'm considering a swap to automatic, the only way to practically do it, is too find a donor car in a junkyard that the owner is willing to allow me to scrounge all the additional small parts with the tranny.

I found one near Washington DC, haven't looked at it yet, just spoke with the guy on the telephone. My jeep needs a lot of work to pass the Maryland Safety Inspection, after I get that done, I'll look into the tranny swap.

I'm more than willing to do a swap with someone with an automatic desiring a 5spd, BUT I've got the 4cyl 2.5L w/AX-5, not too much in demand, nor does it seem that the 2.5L automatic is that common either.

Are you looking for an AX5 ? When it rains it pours, lost the 4.0 in my 98XJ to a wiped cylinder, sons 93YJ just lost 1st and pops out of 5th so he found an AX5 yesterday and is swapping it out on sunday. He came across a couple of others but this one is free and also out of a 93 so it was a no brainer. Me, I'm waiting on a jasper engine to come in on monday..

Back