• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alignment issues...maybe...radial pull???

thebrick

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I just had an alignment done to my 2000 Cherokee (SE, 4.0L, command trac, limited slip rear) with 235/75R15 BFG KOs (new...bought back in Nov. 05).

I had this done because it was pulling to the right at all speeds and on any type of road...I had to hold the steering wheel to the left a little to keep it going straight.

Also, there was a 'dead' spot in the steering...going from center and a little to the right. In other words, if you going straight and turn the wheel left, it would immediately respond, but if you do the same turning right, nothing would happen for about 2 inches of movement to the right.

So, anyway, had alignment done...watched the guy do it and he showed me the specs before and after. It was just out of spec beforehand.

It is more responsive now...equal responsiveness left or right. But it is still pulling to the right...about same as before.

The alignment guy told me this was 'radial pull'. I've heard something like this when radial tires go bad and the belts come apart...but never on new tires.

Have you guys ever heard of anything like this?

thanks

Could be! I had a new set of tires installed, and it acted the same. I too was told radial pull. It has to do with the way radial tires track due to design or something a little more complex than that. Anyway, just move front to rear, rear to front and if that solves the problem, the its radial pull. If it doesnt, its links or box, etc..

You can do this in your driveway in short time, dont pay someone to do it if they want to charge you, or talk you out of it. Some shops dont even want to mess with there customers. Some shops are so damn stupid, they wont even know what radial pull is, much less know how it presents its self.

Anyway, swap fronts and backs and you should be okay. (Dont 'X' them, just front to rear swap) Post back with findings please, we like to know if our help was of good.

Good luck,
Andrew

I had the same trouble with my MTR's and a fresh alignment. I went to a local independent tire shop and they suggested that I switch the 2 front tires from side to side. The problem cleared up right away. I don't think you have to worry about switching good quality radials from one side to the other side.

Hey guys,

I had a chance to mess with the rotation of the tires today to see if it makes any difference with the drift (pulling to the right) I am seeing.

Well, it seems to have gone away when I switched the left front with the right front. But now it will drift to the right and to the left...basically following the 'crown' or slope of the road. I know all vehicles will do this, but my Cherokee seems to do it more so...don't if it is the LT tires or the two solid axles of the vehicle (my first Cherokee)...I guess it is just the nature of the beast.

I'm not sure which is more annoying...but I think drifting left or right depending on the slope of the road is the best way, so I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys

Just out of curiousity, if you switched the tires from left to right and it changed how it pulled, then why not switch front to back and see if that eliminates the issues all together? Just a thought on a possible easy fix....

Back