• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace ball joints, tie rods, bushings when?

Sand-Dog

NAXJA Forum User
AT what mileage did you replace ball joints, tie rod ends, and front-end bushings? My kid will be taking our '95 stock XJ (125K miles) to college this fall and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do the steering / suspension this summer as preventive maintenance. Nothing has been replaced yet. In my other vehicle expenience, 125K miles was about when ball joints /tie rods / bushings needed to be replaced. Just wondering if that holds true for XJs. Did the search on the subject.

I don't think there's any schedule for this. I've never had to do any front end work on my 95 except for the steering gear itself, and I'm up to 256K. Other XJ's I've seen and dealt with have needed the odd part here and there anywhere from 100+ to never. I'd inspect it carefully, keep it lubed, and not bother to replace anything that doesn't need it. Check the hub bearings too. At this mileage you may well need axle u-joints if they haven't been done recently.

If the greaseable steering joints have been lubed on schedule they shouldn't be near worn out at that mileage. The rubber stuff at the LCA & UCA & swaybar would be more likely to have worn, IMHO. But none of it would be on a schedule, just check & replace what's worn.

There is no listed mileage number for these items; however, I've asked my father-in-law (a Jeep enginerd) in the past, and his patent answer about steering/front end stuff is "about 150 thousand." He's been both right and wrong in some of the things he's told me over the years (more often right), but I'm leaning toward agreeing with him about this. I've just recently turned 100k and I think I need all new tie-rod ends and need to add a drilled plate to the track bar on the axle end. I had to replace the hubs at about 85k to the tune of $825 (way before I discovered this site).

Back