• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clevis Shackels ratings

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
I was out last night at the Tractor Supply store and saw some clevis shackel's that looked identical to the warns that I use and they were $13 bucks with some numbers on the side. I don't have them handy, but does anyone know what the rating numbers on the side of clevis shackels mean? It was WIL something if that rings a bell. I compared them to my warn's and the numbers were higher (making me think it was stronger but I've seen dumber things before) so I was wondering if anyone knows how clevis shackels are rated. Thanks.

Its WLL,"working load limit".

johnsoninc86 said:
I got one of the 3/4 inch ones from Rural King(TSC basically) and it was 13 bucks as well, it has a load limit of 4 and 3/4 tons which is 9500 lbs
X2--I have several of them. They even have a shackle that directly fits a receiver, but I didn't check the W.L.L. on that.

Shackles are rated for lifting so their working load has a safety factor built in of approximate 5x or more. So a 9500 lb rated shackle has a breaking strength somewhere near 50 000 lbs.

Things like winch cables and tow straps are not rated for lifting so the strengths listed do not have safety factors in them...i.e. a 18k lb tow strap will break at 18k lbs.

So a typical 5/8" shackle is plenty for any recovery purposes.

Cool, thanks for your help guys. Didn't know what they meant. So come to find out, these cheepo ones from the Tractor Supply Co. are stronger than my Warn ones. Cool beans.

2458290630084883705JsAwYc_ph.jpg

cool thats good info, i have one shackle that is freaking HUGE and then I have a couple of the normal sized ones sweet

tsc used to print the limit on there price tags on the bins. when i got a hitch pin from there it was on the pin and the bin marker as well. tsc is a good place to find things like that. warn your paying for the brand name.

Yeah, was really dissapointed in Warn's stuff when I saw that. I never paid attention to what it was rated at, only that it was a Warn shackel, but I'll never go that road again. They are both 3/4" threaded shackels and the only difference is that my warn is only rated at 4.75T and the TSC one is rated at 6.5T. That's a huge difference to me and who knows when I'll need 4K lbs more, but hey, bigger is better, right? And cheaper too!

Last edited:
I just found a Fastenal store a few blocks from my house (how the hell did I miss that!?), and they have some 3/4"-ers that are rated at 6 1/2 tons for $15.

mylt1 said:
tsc used to print the limit on there price tags on the bins. when i got a hitch pin from there it was on the pin and the bin marker as well. tsc is a good place to find things like that. warn your paying for the brand name.
Not only are you paying for the brand name, but also that flashy red paint. The TSC store right by me has the Warn shackles on the other side of the store from the TSC ones.

the tsc up the road from me carrys several warn products but as with most mainstream products, your paying for the name not quality. thats whats wrong things these days. i have used brand name parts and no name parts for my cars, trucks, and suv's over the years and have found that what most people dont understand is that the parts have to meet a certian criteria to be used in the US auto parts system. i needed a O2 sensor a few weeks ago the bosch one was 55 bucks more than the store brand and they are both built to the same specs. so i saved myself $55. now if it goes bad again in a few weeks or couple of months i may spend the extra cash to see if there is a difference in them but its working now and thats good enough for me.

Back