• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just a few questions

schmels3

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought my second XJ and have a couple of questions. Bought an '89 Cherokee 4.0 auto 4X4 with 170k for $2500 (overpaid in my mind). Anyways, how can I tell which axles I have (dana 44, 35, chrysler 8.25) and which transfer case (np231 or 242) I have. Also, I often go through creeks that go over my headlights and wondering where the diff and tranny vents are so I can extend them (or if I even need to) and any other things I should worry about sealing and what not (besides intake, thats a given). Thanks for all your help!!!

I don't recall where the vents are - you'll have to trace those out for yourself. However, if you regularly get the left headlamp wet, you should start thinking about a snorkel!

The front's a Dana 30, and the rear WON'T be a ChryCo - those didn't show up until at least 1991. Dana 35/44? I'm inclined to think they stopped putting the D44 under the XJ in late 1988 - maybe early 1989. However, it's just a matter of checking the cover - if it's a fairly oval shape, it's a Dana 35. If it's more hexagonal, it's a Dana 44. Auto transmisson means you're likely to have 3.55 gears fore and aft.

How's that for a start?

5-90

On the front D30, the axle vent is on the back side of the axle next to the chunk (on the long axle side) and is a plastic fitting with a rubber hose coming off of it. It runs up into the engine bay and should be extended if you do the deep water as you say.

The rear axle vent is on the left side of the axle towards the left wheel. It is on top of the axle tube and is a small metal nipple with a rubber hose coming off of it. It leads up and under the body. It definitely needs extending either into the cab or up high into the engine bay. ALso make sure it has a good clamp on it to keep the rubber hose connected.

The tranny vent, I believe, is on the top side on the passenger side of the tranny. Kinda hard to get too. I believe it also leads up and into the engine bay and will be found on the right side of the block next to the tranny dipstick tube. I also think it is strapped to the kickdown cable with plastic ties.

A good idea is to route all the vents into the same area (up high in the cab or engine bay and tip each one off with a regular cheap plastic fuel filter.

I do a lot of deep water crossing here in Florida, and I can tell you that you need to make sure your axle seals are good. Expecially on the front D30. Drivetrain Direct sells some excellent heavy duty seals just for the D30. They are repackable as well.

Definitely relocate your air intake up high or get a snorkel. Sealing your distributor cap is also a good idea and use some dielectric grease into all the plug wire ends on the cap and at the plugs.

Cut you some floor drains if you often take water into the cab.

Last edited:
Back