• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a header, anyone running pacesetter

xtrememtbiker85

NAXJA Forum User
I recently found out that i had a cracked manifold. I am tight on cash and want a header. I found a pace setter header for $200 black finish +s&h. i lhave looked around more and everything else is at least $300 +. what are you running and what do you reccommend and where should i get it from. i also have a poweraid tb spacer, k&n intake, High flow cat, and flowmaster series 40 exhaust.

They claim in the JCWhitney ad for the header for the 4.0ho that it increased performance and ensures better fuel enonomy and a smoother running engine (if its well tuned and w/approiate exhaust modifications i listed above.)

I run one, I like it. The coating is worth the $$$ if you want it to stay nice looking. Fit and finish is nothing to write home about, but it'll do. Weld the crossover tube to the header when you get the fit correct, otherwise it'll work loose.

Another thing to consider, I've heard and seen cracked Borla, Banks and Thorley headers, but never a Leach or Pacesetter.

What is the crossover tube? I dont know much about headers. what kind of performance changed did it give you? Does it actually increase fuel economy?

Maybe.

I run a 4.7, 3/4 ton driveline, 35's and 4.88's. I get 18 unloaded at 70 mph.

The header ends right at the oil pan. Then there is the slip fit to a pipe that makes a 90 degree turn under the trans bellhousing. That slip fit blows. It is held by muffler clamps and they work loose. I use a 2.5", three bolt flange right there instead.

Howdy,

Give me a couple weeks and I'll have some info for ya. I ordered mine 2 months ago through a local muffler shop for my '87 and it just came in last week (don't ask). Once the jeep gets out of the paint shop I'll have the header installed. I had a high flow cat and Dynomax muffler put on about 6 weeks ago.

my wife is running borla.

the remark about having seen borlas and others crack........well guess what. it's all human/machine made. every product of every brand can potentially break. but most aftermarket headers are less likely to crack like the factory ones do.

personally i wouldn't freak out about your manifold being cracked. i just acknowledge it and kept putting money away for it. when it finally completely cracked (2 years later), i had enough money put aside for the header and a whole new exhaust.

just my opinion.

oh and yeah...you do feel a nice improvement if you have a nice clean larger exhaust. i think my mileage went up a little, but then again.........it's a jeep....do they ever get good mileage???

Well I have a new exhaust last summer Hi flow cat, Flowmaster series 40, K&N cone w/ Rustys air tube, Poweraid TB spacer. I am not freaking out about the exhaust but I would like to fix it before I go campin in Maine in June(5 Hr drive).

Just trying to get a few opinions.

Back