• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front tow hook brackets

DenT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all i have and 89 xj dr with the I6... i wanted to pick up a set of those front tow/bumper mounts like the one's at rustys or OEM or what have you... then i remembered i have acces to a full machine shop with mills lathes cncs and a waterjet. was wondering if anyone had any kind of specs on its size/ placement of holes... would help a lot. thanks

Try checking out the "jeepbarracks" site, I found a set of plans for the brackets on there that had hole locations, materials, demensions, etc... on the site.

If somebody can host a file for the group or show me how to post a PDF file, or explain how to convert a .PDF to a .JPG, I have a measured drawing (in .PDF) of a heavy duty bumper mount/tow hook bracket.

hmmm found that one on jeepbarracks...good stuff... while im at it does anyone have the specs on a trailer/tow hitch for the rear?

which of those holes in that PDF line up with what? im having a little bit of trouble understanding it.

Here is a good drawing of the front tow hook brackets that I found somewhere on the net a while back. I was planning to build my own set, but ended up buying some instead...
towbrack.jpg

Yeah i think thats the one i'll use... was just wondering if the little dip in the long part of the bracket pictured here has any significance... for clearances or anything... i didnt go and get under my truck yet so...

the dip is to clear one of the stearing box bolts

Hey Kleake, Thanks for posting the pix. of the bracket plans. I am still learning how to use this computer, so "cut and paste" is still something that I need to learn how to do, but those are the brackets that I found on the "JeepsUnlimited" site.

those bracket plans look exactly like the rusty's brackets that i bought, haven't pulled hard yet but i was pleased with the beefy bracket kit

anyone know bout how far from the rear bolt hole that dip is... and perhaps how big it should be... otherwise im just gonna eyeball it. making a solidworks part then throwing it in the water jet... will quarter inch due or shud i bump it to 3/8 or 5/16?

The "dip" or notch is for steering box clearance. As for material thickness, I used 1/4" plate and have had no problems, but then again, I did add a brace that runs side to side to "tie" the 2 pieces together. Even a hard side pull has not phased my front end on my MJ.

I am not sure, I will try to look at mine tomorrow and take a measurement, but another way is to look at the side of your framerail and measure from the existing holes and steering box bolt. These brackets all use factory mounting holes. I have noticed that some mount the hook lower than others. The factory one on my MJ that I used to have didn't mount the hook low enough to clear the bumper and I had to put spacers on it, but the ones I purchased fit perfectly. I bought them at Jeepin Outfitters for about $85 and they have the brace across the front that pinches the frame between for extra strength,, luckily I haven't had to test them just yet, but they are a very nice set...

Last edited:
hmmm perhaps ill look into that as well... making the extra bracket that is... you guys have specs on that? seems simple enough

being a college student 80 bucks is something i throw around... and seeing how the supplies and tools are easy to come by i mine as well just fab it...

The extra bracket is very simple: 2 pieces of 1/4" angle iron flipped on edge to match the inner corner of the factory bumper mount, bolted to the bumper brackets and the crossmember ( with a piece of flat plate as a doubler, so that you do not rip out the bolts), and a piece of tubing welded in between the corner pieces. I used some 1/4" thick tubing, since I have a tendency to find weak spots in a hurry. ( ask me how I found out about re-inforcing the factory x-member) Yes, you can use the same holes for the bumper and both sides of the brackets.

The factory set up is a 3 part system. The main bracket, a front crossmember tie in, and the tow hook reinforcement. The 2 smalller brackets are still available at www.allchryslerparts.com and they are pretty cheap

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back