• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

catylitic converter

cherowagon

NAXJA Forum User
for those of you who have taken off your catylitic converter, what have you had to do about the o2 sensor? i know to put in a straight pipe, and weld in a bung, but have you had problems with the check engine light? did you have to get a simulator or interuptor to plug in from summit or something? or is the exhaust hot enough that it does not cause problems?

The simulators are for OBDII trucks. Other than that (older) you dont have to worry about it.

As many have said (and will say) It really isnt worth it. I did it on mine and felt no noticeable difference. (Even at 5K)

I put mine back on to lower the noise a bit, I have a glasspack and without the cat it was too loud (an im 17!)

The "downstream" HEGO sensor monitors catalyst efficiency. As long as it's in place, somewhere close to the catalyst bed, you shouldn't need a "simulator" or any such thing. As I recall, the "simulator" is meant to "create" a HEGO signal so that OBD-II won't get confused when it's eliminated. If you preserve the HEGO sensor (whether with a bung in the converter body, or immediately after in a straight pipe,) then the signal is still there.

And people wonder why I won't buy anything with OBD-II - Hell, I have trouble enough with the idea of buying OBD-I!

5-90

The simulator is there to make the computer think theres a cat still there. When you gutted it. So youll need it if your gutting the cat.

Or just pull the battery wires and try to start the jeep. It works pretty well at taking all the juce out of the lines. =)

Back