• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rewiring the TPS... maybe?

ren

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone happen to know if the '97 and up XJ tps uses the same voltage as the old RENIX stuff? I am think about making a plug-in harness to connect the new style TPS to the RENIX harness, thus hopefully gettting away from the EXPENSIVE RENIX junk. I am about 1/2 way done with dropping the complete drivetrain from a '98 into my wifes' '88 LIMITED. allready figured out the AW-4 issues, I think. Thanks in advance.
Ren

Bump (yeah, I know....) please, can't somebody shed some light on this?

I'd have to check, but I'm thinking that the TPS uses 5VDC as a source all the way up. Besides, it shouldn't matter too much - 5V or 12V, since there's no solid state electronics in there (it's just a wiper arm on a carbon pile.)

Now you've got me thinking... Are the mounts the same? How about the actuator for the wiper arm?

5-90

Okay, thanks to both of you for replying.
5-90, to answer your question, the newer TPS uses a"bushing" style socket to connect to the throttle shaft like on the newer GM stuff. The mounts are close enough that the RENIX and the new style both fit/line up for the screws.
Tealcherokee, thank you for confirming my thoughts on this. Do you know of someone here that can help with the wiring- do I need to switch any wires from side to side, or does this wire up like the RENIX?
It is pretty sad, I can tell you alot about mech. things, but electronics will whip me almost everytime.
THANKS AGAIN, folks.

unfortunatly depending on the years on the HO motors, its very different on how its drawn in chiltons diagrams, so i dont feel comfortable posting because my book only goes up to 1996, not 1998

the renix have 6 pins, 2 sets of 3, ones for the ecu, ones for the tcu, the newer one tires it together

on the renix stuff black goes to the tcu according to chiltions, i havent played with it enough and my aw4 notes are outside, but i thought there were more....

Well. thanks for trying anyway. I guess that I am going to be making a trip to the library this week. If I get it figured out, I will go ahead post it in case someone else wants to try this mod.

Back