• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice: power steering squeek diagnosis

Sand-Dog

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock '95 XJ with 125K miles on it. Truck is well-maintained (oil and lube every 5K). It has a new squeak in the power steering which I need help diagnosing. Here is the info: while driving or standing, if I move the steering wheel to the left (starting from a straight-ahead position, with my hand on the wheel at 12 o'clock) from 12 o'clock through the 10 oclock position, there is a squeak at 10 o'clock. No binding or other abnormal stuff happening while turning. Power steering fluid is at normal level. There is a litttle seepage (not really a leak) of p.s. fluid at the top of the steering gear box. No indication of wheels rubbing anything nor can I find any indication of any metal-to-metal rubbing in the front end. No recent (or any) accidents or new work on the front end. I really cannot tell if the noise is coming from inside the cabin (as in a bad clockspring in the steering column) or from the engine compartment. So what do you think? Clockspring or steering gear box, or something else?

Not sure on the diagnosis part, but a friend of mine had a squealing, rather bad. There were other issues and replacing the pump was probably the next step. He did not have the money to do it, so he put in a bottle of Lucas power stering fluid.
That was 100k miles ago. No squeal or replacement.

Just what I know.

Check the bolts that hold your upper track bar bracket to the body, these bolts loosened up on my 88 and the movement of the bracket produced a strange squeek, simular to the noise a dry urathane bushing makes.

I have an 85 Cherokee, and I had a similar problem. Everytime I would turn the steering wheel to the left, there was a groaning noise. Actually, it wasn't every time - but it was often enough to annoy me. I tried lubricating everything I could find... I asked my mechanic to check it a number of times, but he kind of dropped the ball....until I stood there with him and asked him specifically. This was today. We added some Lukas Power Steering Fluid - which is especially designed to help get rid of problems in power steering......and joila! Empty out as much of the fluid that's already in there as you can........then add the Lukas Power Steering Fluid......then add back any enough power steering fluid to keep it full.

I have an 85 Cherokee, and I had a similar problem. Everytime I would turn the steering wheel to the left, there was a groaning noise. Actually, it wasn't every time - but it was often enough to annoy me. I tried lubricating everything I could find... I asked my mechanic to check it a number of times, but he kind of dropped the ball....until I stood there with him and asked him specifically. This was today. We added some Lukas Power Steering Fluid - which is especially designed to help get rid of problems in power steering......and joila! Empty out as much of the fluid that's already in there as you can........then add the Lukas Power Steering Fluid......then add back any enough power steering fluid to keep it full.

Back