• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 w/ 4.10's

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Is an 8.25 axle with 4.10 gears a good deal at $180? I have 3.07's right now and have been looking to upgrade to 4.10's for a while because my rig is still my DD, but the upgrade has to be cheap. I'm currently running 31's and when I replace them soon, I'll either go to 265/75R16's or 285/75R16's, and 285's will probably be the largest I'll go. For now, I've decided on 4.10 gears, I just want to know if this is a good deal for an 8.25 axle. It's out of a '99 also, so it has the higher spline count (31 I think). it has 35K miles on it. Also, anybody know what a good price on a front D44 is, or have a very cheap 4.10 D30 HP available?

For that price... well, I'd say it's a bargain :D The gears and install would cost you more and this is just a nice bolt on swap. Do you know though if you're lucky enough to get the limited slip with it? Some frown upon it and say it's not much.... and I say it's better then nothing :D

Kejtar

If it's a 99 C8.25, it should have 29 spline axles. The older axles (pre 97) are 27 splines.

$180 is less than just the labor to regear an axle, let alone adding in parts. As long as it's in even fair shape it sounds like a deal.

The only downside I could think of would be the diff. Is it an open, limited, locker? When I regeared mine from 3.07 to 4.10, I also added limited slips.

Front D44? XJs never came with a front D44 and the Wrangler D44 fronts have D30 knuckles on them.

That's a screaming deal!
I paid $350 for mine, delivered.:(
Mine DID come with a Trackloc also.

www.car-parts.com

Good find on the 8.25" , 4.10 is a very good gear range to start out with. With the 5spd you can run 33 and still have lower than stock gearing. You can find 4cyl. TJ axles with 4.10, but they are LP, but have bigger u-joints. XJ's with the 4 bangers are your best bet, but may have the smaller u-joints but you can upgrade those latter. Some 2.8l V6 came with 4.10 also, but most of the ones I have seen have 3.73.

dana 44 front/8.25 rear

That is a great deal on the 8.25 as it is also a bolt in swap. A ford 8.8 came sometimes be found cheap, but it isn't a bolt in swap. Your best bets for a dana 44 front would be a 66-77' ford bronco as the coil springs and everything but the control arm mounts to the body will line up. There is a good write-up of this swap on this website. Also a 80'+ Jeep Wagoneer have dana 44s with the driveside pumpkin and are around 60" width. The same as xj dana 30 width. The ford axle has a 5 on 5-1/2 bolt pattern and the Jeep Wagonner a 6 pn 5-1/2 bolt pattern. Either of these are popular bolt patterns and will add considerable strength.

How much lower does the pumpkin hang down on a D44 compared to a D30?

If your only planning on running 33"s why worry about the D30? Carry a couple of extra shafts and call it a day. The D30 is a hoss.

I now have a D30 with 3.07's and a 8.25 with 4.10's. I have to buy something for the front with 4.10's, that's why I'm looking at all options. Does anybody have a D30 with 4.10's they want to sell around the Phoenix/Tucson area?

Back