• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on Maximum mileage for a cherokee

JOHN4WD

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all...

Can a 4.0L go over 200k and still be reliable...How many miles can these's engines go if cared for and mostly highway?...I found an 98 cherokee Sport with 214,000 miles for $2000...Were the 97+ XJ sports equiped with 8.25 or was that an option with or without tow package...Or were the SE only equiped with the Dana 35?...I used to have an 97 SE 2 door with all the options the company who bought it wanted but didn't have roof rack, had SE rims, no skid plates, and no towing package...And it had a 8.25 but never found out if that was an option or not...I want an SE because I got an guage cluster to put in it...But all the SE's I've found have Dana 35's...What should I look for?...The 97+ Sports if all of them come with 8.25's or the other higher end models? Thanks for any info...

John...

My 88 has 247K on it, and runs like a beast.

My 87 blew an oil pump, and the #6 rod tried to leave through the driver's side of the block, at about 180K. New crank, new lifters, and repair the hole in the side of the block was worth another 50K. I'd probably still be driving it if I'd done a re-ring while I was about it, but that would also have involved honing the cylinder, and I was in a hurry.

One of my 89's has about 170K on the clock - and it's downchecked due to a rear axle howl (and slated for a restomod anyhow.) The other 89 has about 160K, and shows no signs of stopping.

How's that?

5-90

There is a thread on here with about 10 pages on the life expectancy of a 4.0 engine, and it ranged from 250K to well over 400K. 200K is just getting broke in.

I had the same problem, and a "flat spot" in throttle response around 2500-2800 RPM.

Change the TPS last week-end, and alles gut. My only complaint was that the damn thing cost $100 or so - locally. I needed the thing in a hurry - I'll have to make a note to keep one around as a spare for the other rigs...

5-90

I could be wrong but I think the rear end option depends on whether or not you have ABS. My non ABS 95 has the 8.25. Oh, and it has 257K miles on it too, running strong, though I must confess that it does leak, seep, even gush oil at this point, because I've put off replacing the rear main seal.

With maintenance, I think these things can last just about forever. This is the fourth XJ in my immediate family to go over 200 thousand miles. My ex-wife's 88 was at 220-something when she sold it, my old 87 was at 235 or so when my daughter sold it, my stepson's 93 was at 207 when he sold it to my daughter who now has it. Two of the four are automatics, and never gave any tranny trouble either. My problem here in Vermont is rust - which is why I've put off other repairs. At this point, with floors and roof rotted out, and a good deal in between, I'm hesitating to put much into it.

if that engine was properly maintained it has a lot of life left in it . All 97 and up cherokee's run the 8.25 29 spline rear end

"All 97 and up cherokee's run the 8.25 29 spline rear end"

True if not equipped with ABS. Dana 35 if it is equipped with ABS.

As a rule:

ABS - d30
non ABS - cry 8.25

I would take the deal if the jeep is otherwize in good condition. You can probobly get another 30k if it was beat on or maybe another 50k. More if your lucky. You can allways get a used motor or a rebuild.

helix :patriot:

97+ with ABS = D35
97+ without ABS = 8.25 or D35 (I've got a D35 without ABS in my 2001... what a bummer)

whatevah said:
97+ with ABS = D35
97+ without ABS = 8.25 or D35 (I've got a D35 without ABS in my 2001... what a bummer)

Are you sure about that? Sure it just wasn't disconnected?

I'm sure... it's a former lease vehicle, so you'd figure it would have anti-lock, but... nope!

88 with 150k, more power every day. xj's are like a fine wine. give them merely adequate accomodations and they become superb with age.

brothers is pushin 260k.. and 33's on 3.55 gears. still has decent power. id say thats a large feat for a 1990 engine.
however it is also pushin lots of oil... just keep oil in it. itll run for everr.

Back