• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP 44 up front

jagermiester

NAXJA Forum User
So I will be swapping a hp44 up front of my 89 xj here shortly. I have a few questions though.

1: I have seen a few xj's on xjdb.com who havent moved the axle coil mounts when swapping to fullwidth. Therefore placing the coils at a slight angle (/ \). How bad is this? And what negative effect will it have.

2: Where would I buy the link mounts for the axles if I where to run the T&T y link setup?

3: If I run ford radius arms (lengthened and with a super flex joint at the frame mount) with coilovers I also have to run a panhard bar correct? Is anyone running this setup? How do you like it?

And just so you know I will be running either a 60 or a 9" in the rear. I havent decided yet. I will have approximately 9" and will be running either 35 or 37's.

jagermiester said:
So I will be swapping a hp44 up front of my 89 xj here shortly. I have a few questions though.

2: Where would I buy the link mounts for the axles if I where to run the T&T y link setup?

And just so you know I will be running either a 60 or a 9" in the rear. I havent decided yet. I will have approximately 9" and will be running either 35 or 37's.
I don't have the T&T kit, but you should be able to use the Rubicon Express uppers, and I just used 3"x3" 3/16" wall square tubing for the lowers. My uppers and lowers are both raised and the widths are very close to stock. Someone else had a thread where they used the T&T kit on a D44, and because they weren't running stock mounts on a D30 they had to make mods to the arms for clearance/angle reasons and what not, but it has been done.

Greg

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57304

(Sorry all my pic links are dead)

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52219

These threads may help.

The first thread describes what I have done. I used a combination of JKS, RE, and Claytons parts but if I were to do it all over again I would have doe it like Goatman and used C-channel and welded my Johnny Joints to my UCA like this:

standard.jpg

This is my junk:

DSC07031%20(Medium).JPG

jagermiester said:
1: I have seen a few xj's on xjdb.com who havent moved the axle coil mounts when swapping to fullwidth. Therefore placing the coils at a slight angle (/ \). How bad is this? And what negative effect will it have. .

Not mush but keep it slight. I know the picture is deceiving but mine are pretty much straight up and down and I use a HP 44 set to the Waggy width.

jagermiester said:

Claytons and RE make some. NO ONE makes a kit for high steer so you will be modifying anything you buy to make this work. I thought the RE blew ass so I only used the diff bridge. They did a pretty good job on it and have a cool plate to attach to the diff cover bolts for added strength.
ThumbHandler.ashx

jagermiester said:
3: If I run ford radius arms (lengthened and with a super flex joint at the frame mount) with coilovers I also have to run a panhard bar correct? Is anyone running this setup? How do you like it?

You will want the panhard.

jagermiester said:

Stay on 35s ;)

Last edited:
Back