• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to purchase an XJ

whyt

NAXJA Forum User
My first post....so here goes.

I am looking into an XJ, to build into a trail rig. I have been told that some XJ's had the Dana 44 axle in the rear. What years and is it easy to tell?

Also, most of the XJ's I have looked at are mid to late 80's. Most have high miles (200k). If I was to replace the motor, any recommendations that would be easiest and give me fuel injection(do i need fuel injection?)

whyt said:
My first post....so here goes.

I am looking into an XJ, to build into a trail rig. I have been told that some XJ's had the Dana 44 axle in the rear. What years and is it easy to tell?

Also, most of the XJ's I have looked at are mid to late 80's. Most have high miles (200k). If I was to replace the motor, any recommendations that would be easiest and give me fuel injection(do i need fuel injection?)

First off welcome. 87-89 XJs came with the Dana 44 rear axle. Metric Ton Package it is called. To tell it will not say 35C on the rear axle next to the cover. All XJs came with fuel injection if they have a 4.0 from 87 on up. Don't get one before 87. Bad motors for the most part. Engine swaps are really easy, 87-90 rebuilt blocks will run somewhere between 1150-1500. You will want fuel injection. This is a link to the rebuilt engine that I got.
http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com..._catid=131&sid=1AlF2z0WY7kK9lM-39102071442.2e

Hope that helps. You can also find Dana 44s at most junk yards if you look hard. I have heard of people getting them for $50-500. Just depends on the yard. So if the XJ you buy doesn't have one you can always get one. Or get a 8.8" rear from an 95' or newer Ford Explorer with a V8. These come with disc brakes. Good luck, Juice

buying an xj

I just bought a 95' xj on ebay from Oregon Surplus for $3K with 112K miles. The blue book is somewhere around $7K. It has a 4.0L HO, AW4 auto, and 231 t-case. It is the SE model without the center counsel. Most of the xjs are white, but some are navy blue metallic, or forest green. The Oregon gov't takes good care of these vehicles and they should last you awhile. I normally see between 2-5 xj a week going through this site. Make sure before you bid on the vehicle that it is located in Salem, OR because occasionally the vehicles are held elsewhere. I just drove to Salem from Sacramento (Salem's about 1 hr from Portland). Try to get a 91'+ so you get the 4.0L HO version of the 6 cylinder. This has 190 hp and more potential than the 87'-90' Renix 6 cylinder. Stay clear of the 84-86' 2.8L v-6, these are nothing but trouble.

Back